• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Need a few bits for my basket bober....

Ratbikemike

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I found the clutch on my 77k was just tossed in and was missing a piece.... :yikes: IMG_1138.jpg I need a 25 mm spline washer that is no longer offered from Honda. So please ....where or who how do I get me that washer? Can I use a 1 inch hardware store piece? Rbm

watch ebay. I think the washer you are talking about is a conical spring washer so no you cant use a hardware washer.

If that washer goes between outer basket and inner hub, I daresay it may well need to be an EXACT thickness as it sets the clearance and spacing of the clutch plates and inner and outer hubs. The conical spring washer is in a different location, closer to outside of clutch assembly and just under the 4 bolt clutch lifter plate.

The 25 mm. spline washer may well not need splines, it would turn of its' own to lube if something found to go in place of the OEM part, but it MUST be the thickness required there and DEAD FLAT on both sides which commonly a hardware store washer is not. A flat file can be used to flatten any dings in a hardware store washer and to remove any outside edge punchout knarf off it when it was punched out of sheet but you need that thickness. 25 mm. is almost 1 inch FYI. While that's close, the 25 mm. number is less and at the difference in mm. and inch has 1 inch too big at .018" too loose. I bring that up because the spline forces the OEM part to spin so it does not wear the shaft inside it. Spinning free, the washer will live but at a different rate of spin will begin to wear into the input trans shaft, the looser the center hole is the more that will happen when the washer wobbles.The OD of washer needs to be such that it fits cleanly inside any pocket there as well, that may not be with a hardware washer.

If washer too thin the clutch will bind and drag, the inner and outer then interfere with each other. Correct thickness would have the inner bolted down to outer basket with the outer nut and conical washer and no clutch discs installed, when tight both shell and inner must rotate freely with no drag and no excess play. A wee bit is OK.

It can work but all the detail work needed screams to find the correct part, it's so much easier. One of those 'minor' things that at face value looks OK but can make for problems in the future.

Last edited:
I was pretty sure an oem part was the way to go but finding it was the issue. Turns out, Bill at bentonracing.com is sending the 'so very special' part. Congrats to him for setting the record for '1/4 mile sohc Honda' et at the Mancup event in Valdosta. He was running in the street et class. And thank you guy for your time nd effort. Rbm

It can be crazy stupid how 'special' a dumb little washer can be in the wrong location............................like usual the devil is always in the details.

Back