• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

My '74 CB750

fingersofskill

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Greetings all!:D
I live just east of Concord, NH.
Not too far from the ocean, close to some mountains, Good ole lobster state ME is not too far... many miles of awesome riding all around me.
I got this ride at the start of summer '11.
She is my first Honda, been riding riding early '80's yamaha maxim XJ models since I was young.
She is really fun to ride, strong engine, loud

Sooo, what do we see here on this new bike of mine?
1974 CB750, slightly modded...
diff, turn signal lamps, pulled in tight, all 3 front lamps with visors.
Think the PO says something about the forks being diff also?
Custom seat, on original pan?
Running boards, heal/toe shifter
Airbox removed and replaced pods
mostly straight pipes
Custom kick pedal?
Swing arm from an '82 which extends the rear tire out an additional 2 1/2 inches or so. (again another ?) :p
Harley rear rim
Some unknown fiber rear fender
a neat tail light/license holder

All credit goes to the PO
She gets a bunch of comments wherever I go 8)

What do I want/need to do to her?
* She is a bit damp up front.
* needs new tach cable seal
* will repaint engine the engine black again one day after I get her all dry again.
* turn signals sometimes do not turn on at all, sometimes will come on and just not blink
* Battery doesn't stay charged long (got an AGM batt). most always have it on the trickle charger when not riding her. thinking of upgrading whatever parts of electrical parts as needed, to increase overall electrical power and charging capabilities when running. (Accpting suggestions here) :eek: This can make riding a long time at night no fun :mad:

* Give the carbs a once over with a fine tooth comb...
* She is loud during acceleration, sputs, sputters, pops and sucks(???) when going real fast and then release the throttle. Need something, not sure...some baffling in the pipes or a slight rejet of carbs, not sure of this one, not so concerned either :)
* Hmmmm... struggling on more

I look forward to any comments.

Dave

Attachments

• me cb750 1.jpg
    me cb750 1.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 193
  • me cb750 2.jpg
    me cb750 2.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 201
  • me cb750 3.JPG
    me cb750 3.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 211
Hi Dave!

Welcome to the board! Nice lookin' scoot you've got there. I really like that seat!

Hey Dave, Welcome to the site!

Have you checked your charging system to make sure it's charging? You might have a good battery and charging system that isn't working properly. Also, you might need to re-jet with the pod filters and that exhaust. Is the popping through the carbs or exhaust? Have you pulled your plugs after a couple of high speed runs to see what they look like?

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0_3.jpg
    imagejpeg_0_3.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 201
  • P_20170707_103953.jpg
    P_20170707_103953.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 187
Travis,
I have checked the charging system... Last summer, dont remember what the numbers were... how did I check, put a multimeter on the battery and then reved her up and watched the voltage jump/climb.
Yes as to the sputtering/popping, I figured that it needed a rejet as a result of the pods and "lack of exhaust.
The popping is from the exhaust. Never ever heard a noise from the carbs. I wont know what jets are in the carbs till I pull them, but from then, you think to go larger or smaller? Me lost on that one :) (The sputtering/popping I am not so worried about) Sure its a bit loud when I want to ride her over 45mph... so for this alone, thought of putting some kind of baffle in what pipe i do have, thinking that alone will tone her down just a tad. I typically have music in my ears so do I really care that she is loud... not really.
Major concern is the charging. I have read over and over about people outfitting their 750's with a "dyno2000" or some other new fancy something, replacing the whatever... ultimatly majorly upgrading the electrical/charging systems... sooo, whats the best/smartest/right thing, me not know... really just want it to charge better so I dont always have to put back on the charger every couple of days.
I did upgrade my fuse block just a few days ago.. lights are much brighter now... havent run enough/taken off the charger to see if there is any diff to charging sys, my guess is that its just gonna run out quicker now :(
Tis all good fun! :)

my suggestion with the charging issue is to replace the old regulator and rectifier with a new solid state unit like the Ricks rectifier or one from Cycle X. On my k2 i had problems that a times no charge and other times over charging and cooked all the fluids from my battery solid state unit solved all my issues. with pod filters and open exhaust you want to to larger jets but be conservative i run open velocity stacks with a fine mesh screen and 4 open very short header pipes [very loud ] and run 110 jets and its a little rich at top end. [loud pipes saves lives]

Yeah a lot of people tend to over-jet when going with a more free flowing exhaust and air filters. A lot of times you don't have to go up that much. You should decide if you want to put baffles in the exhaust before you mess with re-jetting. Then see how it runs and pull the carbs to see what existing jetting is in there. You have be careful though because sometimes people drill out jets and then the markings won't be accurate. You might be better off looking up what the stock jetting is and buying those pilot and main jets and also one size bigger for the pilots and a few different larger main sizes. That should get you started.

As for your charging system, what are you seeing for voltage on your meter? It should be about 14.5v at 4,000+ rpm

Back