• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1991 nighthawk kickstand switch issue

4sakenTurner

CB750 New member
Reaction score
The bottom of my kickstand switch is not connected to the actual kickstand but it is in the off position, would this still be the cause of my bike cutting off when I put it into first gear? Thanks in advance for any advise!

More likely your clutch switch. There is a double clutch diode thing in there too along with neutral switch, the ignition module figures into that as well. Any of that awry can make problems.

Last edited:
On second thought might be sidestand switch..........................

from the service manual..............

'The side stand switch should function as follows :
When the transmission is shifted into a gear from neutral with the side stand down, the ignition shuts off and the engine
will stop.
When in neutral, the neutral switch line (a) of the spark unit is connected to ground via the neutral switch. When the
side stand is up, the side stand switch line (b) of the spark unit passes to ground via the side stand switch. The spark
unit monitors lines (a) and (b), and provides spark only when one or both of those lines is connected to ground via the a neutral switch or the side stand switch.'

On sidestand switch wire coding the green is ground, green/white is the ignition module and grounds out to run, the yellow (w/black or blue) wire is for power to sidestand light in gauges. It grounds when the green/white isn't. Ignition is cut with green/white not grounded.

Back