• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

A few questions before purchasing a CB 750

Chiclix

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hello! I am new to the forum and am glad to be here!

I am looking at a 1981 CB 750 Custom for sale on craigslist. It is listed for $1200 and has ~14000 miles on it. From the pictures, it looks like the tank has a scrape in it, and is missing one of the battery covers. Other than that it looks pretty clean.

This is what the seller says:

1981 Honda CB 750 Custom for sale. Clean title in hand.

Needs front caliper piston seal and minor tune up to be roadworthy, but it's all there with plenty of extras included.

JUST replaced, with 0 miles and receipts to prove:
-Tires ($140 plus install)
-Chain
-Carburetors Ultrasonic cleaned and completely rebuilt (Over $200 spent)
-Brand new handlebars
-4 into 1 header

This will be my second street bike, my first being a CBR 250r. The riding season is pretty much over in Ohio so I will be purchasing this bike to fix up and get ready for the spring. If I do get it, I will also either purchase a new tank, or get the current one repaired and painted. It really depends on the condition on the current one. I am also planning on getting a different seat and doing a couple other modifications. What should I look for when I go and check it out? Also, how much should I budget out to get it tuned up, caliper and whatever little things need fixed?

Thank you!

I strongly suspect the mileage but that's just me.

Ask for a compression check, commonly the biggest thing on those is nobody runs the valves (shim type, pain in the -ss) then they burn VERY easy. Compression will show that in seconds and that being enough mileage to show a problem. Why most DOHC get sold AFTER they screw the carbs up thinking it's that. Of course with that age carbs could need it too, trapped both ways. OEM compression is around 170 psi with anything from 140 up being in good shape.

New handlebar and tank scrape may be saying crashed, look at forks for being straight. Why a chain (yet no sprockets, a mistake) at that low a mileage, lubed often they last much longer than that. Meaning look close at rear sprocket teeth, they may be worn.

If talking side cover those can be a b-tch to find.

Last sentence has 500 different answers, can't say.

Thank you!

He told me that he has two extra sets of side covers, just had them off to charge the battery. Also, what I thought was a scrape is actually a decal. There is a small dent in the front right of the tank though. I was thinking the same about the chain.

Back