• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

'80 header install problems

Rock

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

Removed my headers to replace the rotten muffler a while back and now I cannot for the life of me get those little "cup" things into the head and put the exhaust on after.

I am referring to the metal "sleeves" that are in between the crush washer and the header itself.

I have included a photo so you know what I am supposed to know the name of.

What can I use besides these? I have googled tips and such but I cannot seem to get them back in.

My bike is a hodge podge of parts and I don't remember if the header was flush or not before I removed them.

It is a 4 into 1 on a 1980k...not sure if it comes with this header or not

Thanks in advance!
b2810f1eb33b0652077a17bd0fb999b9.jpg

Not being a smart a--, But are You putting the split sleeves part 2 on Your diagram ( retainers on the pipe before the flare on the end of the pipe? ) Thats where they go with the star shaped keeper with the 2 stud holes on the pipe first then the two split retainers on the pipe next. If still having a problem check for carbon or crude buildup in the head, Good luck Guy.

Last edited:
Not being a smart a** at all! I literally have been trying to shove them in then bolt the clamp on top...

WOOOOW I feel silly haha

Oh well, live and learn! I'll try again tomorrow. The beauty of messing around with old bikes is I learn something almost every time!

I'll let you know how it turns out! Until then I'll post a pic of the bare metal tank and license plate side covers I made haha

Not being a smart a** at all! I literally have been trying to shove them in then bolt the clamp on top...

WOOOOW I feel silly haha

Oh well, live and learn! I'll try again tomorrow. The beauty of messing around with old bikes is I learn something almost every time!

I'll let you know how it turns out! Until then I'll post a pic of the bare metal tank and license plate side covers I made haha
1fd2356150950166a7b561989c0f39e8.jpg

Sometimes it is easier to have someone hold the pipes into the cylinder head with the star shaped keepers on the pipe then slide the split retainers into the head and start the lock washers and nuts on the studs, Again good luck with it.

That's a great tip! I def will have my buddy help. The whole "balance it on my foot while holding it with one hand and bolt it in with the other" is not fun

Reading your post again I do have the "star" things on the pipe and always have.

I try to put the "half moon" pieces in the head then put the star over them to bolt them in but they just won't go back on. It is frustrating me as this is the last thing before I can ride the bike again

looking at Your picture Your trying to put them in backwards reverse them so the halfs flange are on the outside. The washers act as a seal.

No flat side in first, flange or larger diameter on outside, Look at Your earlier parts diagram that is the correct order of assembly.

They do not go in at all the other way around.

Is there something else I could use? Gasket maker or cut out a gasket?

I have the crush washers still in there.

There has to be another way besides these. I'm not sure if they are original, if they go to this header etc.

Looking again I see that the pipes have a larger diameter sleeve on them. I was under the impression they where mounted before correctly try to find the manufacture of the header and they might have the larger diameter but thinner retainer sleeves ( the two cup things as You called them ) You absolutely need these for stability and exhaust leaks. The stock pipe only has a flare on the end.

You guys are killing me.

Part #3 copper ring seal in pic is the actual ONLY seal that goes on there. It goes in then header tube goes in THEN the half pieces with the thinner end going in first, they go on to squeeze down on TOP of the header tube PIPE NOT the ring at the end of pipe; they press the pipe itself at the ring edge hard against the part #3 copper seal ring. The outer star then pinches the half pieces down hard.

The pic is 100% correct other than the understanding that the very end of pipe must be between #3 and #2 parts, diagram drawn like that would be confusing though. The half pieces need to be the correct ones, they put over the pipe should meet with no space between their IDs and pipe OD, if they butt to be too loose they are wrong parts. They slide down pipe until they hit the end ring at end of pipe.

Stock DOHC pipes do NOT have only a flare on the end, they have a full metal ring press-welded to the flare.

You need no alternative, those parts work like gangbusters. Pic in post #8 is correct except the pipe goes in first THEN the half inserts. Not inserts first.

If you leave out the copper seal rings you will get backfires on decel like nobody's business. Exhaust leak city.

You guys are killing me.

Part #3 copper ring seal in pic is the actual ONLY seal that goes on there. It goes in then header tube goes in THEN the half pieces with the thinner end going in first, they go on to squeeze down on TOP of the header tube PIPE NOT the ring at the end of pipe; they press the pipe itself at the ring edge hard against the part #3 copper seal ring. The outer star then pinches the half pieces down hard.

The pic is 100% correct other than the understanding that the very end of pipe must be between #3 and #2 parts, diagram drawn like that would be confusing though. The half pieces need to be the correct ones, they put over the pipe should meet with no space between their IDs and pipe OD, if they butt to be too loose they are wrong parts. They slide down pipe until they hit the end ring at end of pipe.

Stock DOHC pipes do NOT have only a flare on the end, they have a full metal ring press-welded to the flare.

You need no alternative, those parts work like gangbusters. Pic in post #8 is correct except the pipe goes in first THEN the half inserts. Not inserts first.

If you leave out the copper seal rings you will get backfires on decel like nobody's business. Exhaust leak city.
So you're saying put the header in first then the half moon on top?

They don't go in the head at all? I've been trying to shove them in the head in the very small space that is around the header.

This is the only bike exhaust that I've done like this so I'm not surprised I'm confused looking at that diagram haha

Yes.

Copper seal first then header tube then thin edge of the half pieces. They hit the tube ring on end, the star holds them tight together and at same time pushes them hard down into the pipe ring.

Final assembly from top outside on down--star ring, half pieces with thin edges going in first then pipe end then copper seal to head.

I glue the copper seals in place with like silicone or 3M weatherstrip, then pipe goes on and using coat hanger wire to support rear of header at the right side pass footpeg hole somewhere and another coat hanger wire on left side of engine over the head to then catch the pipe, done tight enough things are close enough to start adding half pieces, I begin on left side of engine as sitting on bike. One guy only. Patience fits in there somewhere.

Thanks for the tip man! I've been driving myself crazy. I will try and not shove the half moon things into the head lol

Back