• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Carb installation HELP

CivilPenny

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I'm putting my carbs back on my 1978 honda cb750k and I cannot remember how to put the cables back into place. There is a push throttle cable, a pull throttle cable, and a choke cable. If anyone can help, let me know, thank you!
-Dom

So, why did you yank them to begin with? I ask because a lack of knowledge about how to put cables back on screams didn't need to be messing with carbs to begin with, as the rest of them is harder to understand than those cables. You can sort the cables out easily just by working them and the carb linkage too.

Nothing personal there and no insult intended at all, it just is what it is............

Rearmost clamp is for choke, upper higher is push and lower most forward is pull, the action of main throttle quadrant is counterclockwise opening carbs as viewed from right side of bike. Leave a bit of slack in final adjustment to allow for moving handlebars from side to side.

Last edited:
While I appreciate that you help a lot of people around here, and you're right with what you said, there's no need to scare everyone off. Posts like these give people something to do. You answered anyway (with your edits) and could have either skipped the first half of your message or not answered at all.

I understand you could have meant what you wrote in a non-insulting way, but I could also see how someone would read that as an insult. It's hard to tell over the internet, so you have to error on the side of being nice.

I'm with Travis. I've sent more than one member (on more than one forum) into a "hurricane hissy fit" by some of my responses, often by taking it for granted that everyone appreciates my sarcastic wit. Sadly, not everybody understands that they're dealing with a bunch of bikers fer chrissakes...

But the orientation is spot on, the "push" cable goes above, the "pull" goes underneath and wraps around the back, with the choke mounted high to the rear. I'm sure there's a picture in the manual...

Here ya go:

EC_DabJQ_VUhS7zf7pWui7N35Y5ZrQZiRyySx=w618-h799-no.jpg

'I could also see how someone would read that as an insult.'

Hey, I made A+'s in English, I cannot be responsible for how others see things due to a lack of complete understanding of it................the no insult thing was clear enough. Finding insult where clearly none intended has self-persecution all over it.

Thats why they come here because they dont understand. They just want answers to there questions, whether they should be working on their bikes or not is irrelevant. Its their bike and can with as they wish. We are here to help each other. Just answer the question and be done, simple as that.

Hey, I made A+'s in English, I cannot be responsible for how others see things due to a lack of complete understanding of it................the no insult thing was clear enough. Finding insult where clearly none intended has self-persecution all over it.

If you really didn't think the first part of your post could've been taken as an insult, then you wouldn't have needed to edit the post to add "nothing personal and no insult intended".. then edit it again with a helpful answer. I can see all edits.

You're a call it like you see it guy, and I like that, but sometimes what you write comes off a little harsh, intended or not. I'm glad you're here though trying to help people. If you didn't answer, maybe no one would have.

Hey guys!

Reading this thread makes me wonder what would be an acceptable way to tell someone that, based solely on their posts here, they don't posses the mechanical aptitude required to successfully attempt, or complete, the mechanical repair they are asking about.

We often see posts here that honestly lead us to believe that the telling the person to stop messing with the bike and take it to a professional is the best help we can offer.

Myself, I would rather be honestly insulted then politely lied to.

I understand everyones posts but a simple lower cable is the pull upper is the push would have sufficed. Things that seem simple and common sense to those of with a mechanical disposition are not as readily apparent to others...sometimes they simply need pictures etc to get the idea across to them. No need to belittle them, intended or not. There are ways to tell people not to mess with things that are polite and not so harsh. Its also not just an issue with the post, it is an on going thing. We are here to help, offer advice and opinions but there is no need to make people upset or feel uncomfortable just because we dont think they should be messing with their own bike. How is anyone to learn if you dont break out of your comfort zone and skill set? Especially if it is their own bike.

OK, OK, I get it. Maybe I was a bit over the top. If somebody can see all edits (even unposted ones) then they will be able to figure out I often rethink to get rid of what I post as too radical. That alone should say something. I DO feel the need to contribute to the human community. Or I wouldn't say a thing at all.

I will try to explain this as carefully as I can.

They OFTEN need to be pushed, today's world is chock full of little children that will sit back and let you dress them all day long. Not calling the OP a child at all BUT that post just smacked to me of 'I don't want to think about it, I'll get them to do it for me'. It was too simple a thing to ask by someone who took it on himself as having the skills to do the job. Someone not being able to recognize the difference in throttles and choke assembly as well as not moving throttle and choke to see how and which way it works, doesn't need to be removing a carb bank to begin with. Yeah, it's his, he can drop it off a cliff if he wants but once people start asking things like which way the wheels turn when a car moves, well, this was close to that to me. If carried out far enough we could even possibly take part in someone like that getting himself hurt or killed. If one simply responds with do this and no regard for the person, they are empowering and setting in concrete that, the 'users' of the world will then simply smother you with that. I've been there. 7 billion people on the planet, should we fulfill that while others who respond better to constructive criticism go unhelped? I ask that after training people in various businesses on many things over a number of years, maybe it was the drawing the line to cut some of them loose as untrainable and can't make any money off them, yes, I had to do things I wasn't happy with.

People who are comfortable have no reason to come out of that comfort zone, i.e., they will be using others forever instead of developing themselves. I personally feel that when we facilitate that further we are doing a disservice regardless of what we tell them.

Why I, being the eternal idiot that I am, often bring the driver/owner into it rather than just sticking with the machine only, what y'all ask is often the easy way out. You say it's for the poster but it's just as much for you, you have comfort zones too.

There are often TWO things to be fixed there, a machine and the person who operates it, often the person is much more of a problem than the machine and not to us, rather to his getting a successful conclusion to his own particular issue. It just runs out of some of them in buckets.

So, why do we simply fix things without truly doing so, the machine is only part of the equation..................better to try to fix both, of course the machine can't say a word, the people, well that's much harder.

Give the guy fish, he eats once, show him how to fish, her eats forever.................It's damn delicate and I for one am no expert at it having done it for years. And yes, I often look like an ass doing it like here.

We had this guy who was a customer at Dad's garage/race shop who was that type of person, we responded exactly like you guys say, just help him with what he wants. There were some visible people issues there. Long story short and carried to an extreme, he later killed 6 people and then 5-6 weeks later burned to death himself, at some point we (ME, I tried but apparently not hard enough) fell short on the people end of things to help enable that.

BTW, I can't say what I do about others without at least looking close at what I do as well. There's some food for thought for me here as well.

Back