• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

I think I see a new motor build coming....

I have around 70 miles on it. All short trips to try to get these carbs dialed in. I am trying to get by with these stock carbs but think some aftermarket carbs are in the very near future. I am up to 150 mains now and have .050" worth of shims under the needles to get it so it isn't terribly lean. Yeah...I need some bigger carbs. Have done leak down and compression test to see how healthy the motor is and all seems good so now just to get the cab situation fixed. Sturgis Ralley is in couple of weeks so I need to get going on getting this thing right.

Just got this RC Distributor setup installed and running. DSC01360.JPG

Nope...couldn't get it to run right on the stock stuff. These are 31mm CR's. Good increase in power over the stock carbs and 10x easier to tune.

I have a old set of 33mm Mikuni I thougth about running but I would have to build a big motor and now i've been looking at build a 12.5:1 836 to play with. The CR are some bad ass looking carb. I bet it will do some power wheelits now

Last edited:
Just spins the tire lol 33mm would be too be even for a 836... I am afraid the bottom end power would be disappointing. You need at least 900cc or bigger would be better for that size of carb. You could probably get some pretty good money for the carbs if they are vintage Mikunis.

I have a stock set if I build a 836. I had bought a 1100f back in the late 90's and they were on it. I was going to rebuild the motor and race it and a Guy make me and offer i couldn"t pass up and he did not want the carb. There Mikuni 33A.

Last edited:
Thats awesome Digger, Is the Collins distributor a gear driven mag. or do You have to supply external power? Anyway it looks scary fast!

It is just a distributor not a mag. It is gear driven off of the end of the crankshaft. The distributor is actually a reverse rotation VW distributor design. I retrofitted a Mallory Unilite internals into this distributor as it was a dual point setup.

I know this is an old thread but am curious as to how this motor went .
I am in the process of building a 970 with a Cyclex CX7 - same as the MegaCycle 125-75 .

Motor up and running...still running. Doesn't have a lot of miles on it just because I haven't had much time the last year to ride but still running. Its always a work in progress for me.

Back