• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Gas leaking

Kuntryboy

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I have a 81 750 custom my brother gave to me. It died on him a few years back and he bought Harley.....first I thought it was going to be electrical, but I rebuilt the carbs and put new float needles in also. I got the bike to fire up and run YIIPPPEEE!!. But I have fuel pouring out the carbs. I can see fuel coming from the the over flow. Possibly the fuel rail, but it hard to to with gas tank on. I should note I didn't dissemble the fuel rail.....My brother and uncle seem to think the guy who worked on it may have messed up the Petcock. Once started if I turn the Petcock to off it stops leaking fuel. Any suggestions? I am mechanically inclined but not a mechanic either.

That tells you petcock is working.

'I am mechanically inclined but not a mechanic either.'

The un-understandable dichotomy................is that even possible?

If they run ethanol in your local fuel you will have the superfine reddish rust in tank that it makes, that is often the cause of the issues. The OEM filters do not really catch that well.

I noticed the breather tube (or whatever it is called) on the Petcock is cracked would that cause any issues. I will change the gas

That tells you petcock is working.

'I am mechanically inclined but not a mechanic either.'

The un-understandable dichotomy................is that even possible?

If they run ethanol in your local fuel you will have the superfine reddish rust in tank that it makes, that is often the cause of the issues. The OEM filters do not really catch that well.

When I had this problem it was because a valve in one of the float chambers was sticking.
Seems unlikely if you have rebuilt the carbs, unless you might have left some crud around a float valve assembly?

I don't believe there was anything around the float seat. I cleaned them out pretty good. And polished up the seat pretty good......I will say tha I changed the gas no marine grade (non ethanol) gas. I believe my fuel accelerator is bad. I'm not getting gas in my carbs now. Haha.....I did by pass and ran fuel right to carbs. Not sure if changing gas has helped. I need to buy a new battery. I can't seem to get fit to charge past half full. So I only get a couple cranks and the battery is dead.

Back