• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

to paint or to wrap

bigcity81

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone the exhaust on the bike is kinda rough who has experience with rattle can paint and what was the results and which brand did you use. I know wrap is a quick cover up but it also how's moisture which will create a hidden possible problem correct?

I dont like wrap because it does hold moisture up against the pipe and it will rust faster. Probably not as much of a problem if it is run a lot to keep moisture out. I have good luck painting pipes. Sand them down good and clean well with acetone or paint thinner. I use regular high temp exhaust paint from duplicolor. The key is to heat cycle the paint. The best thing to do is use an old oven if the pipes will fit and bake them at 300 deg. If you cant then after the paint dries start the bike, when the pipes are starting to get hot shut it of and let the pipes cool. Do it another time or two. Then ride the bike and let the pipes cool one last time. The paint will last longer if you heat cycle it. If you spray it and then ride the bike the paint will just burn off. Other people have just used bbq paint too with decent results.

I like wrap. I wraped the header on my car 3 years ago. The car was low to the ground and the wrap had been catching on rocks and such and was tearing. I took it off and I saw no rust at all on the pipes. If you used a high temp paint to "seal" the metal and wrapped it, there shouldn't be any rust issues. Just watch the pipe at the spot the wrap stops. I've heard that some pipes can crack where the wrap stops. I think this only happens if you get the pipes VERY hot (like red hot) and then just shut the engine off without cooling things down first.

The bike isn't currently running so what if I prep them really well then do a light coat wait a day then do another light coat etc until I have good coverage seeing how I don't think they will fit in a conventional oven?

Back