• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Best type of wrinkle paint

rswilkin

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I am getting ready to paint my 1971 CB750 engine cylinder head and cylinders with the black wrinkle paint. Any suggestions on brand and applications. I had the wrinkle paint on my 1973 back in the 70's and I really loved the look. Anybody with successful experience with wrinkle paints? I have an old/extra cylinder that has been damaged and I tried painting it with PJ1 wrinkle paint with little success. I prepped the metal, then left the part in the sun for a couple of hours to warm the metal, then painted it. The paint wrinkled in spots and glossed to a shine on other portions. Recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you guys in advance.

'The paint wrinkled in spots and glossed to a shine on other portions.'

That seems to suggest can not shaken enough.

That type paint being what it is sits on shelves a long time and by no means is the recommended one minute shaking enough. The wrinkle agent may settle layered different from the paint solids, you gotta work that stuff like your life depends on it and for the extended sit period as well. I personally initially shake for like 5 minutes with a long shelf life can. And while painting as well, always shaking the can between shots.

VHT seems to work pretty well, being they specialize in high heat paints too, they may have some of that in the wrinkle stuff too.

Thanks for the advice. I tried the VHT on a scrape piece of metal and the wrinkle seems to look a lot better. My only concern is that VHT is only rated to 350 degrees. Do you know the cylinder head and piston temps?

That 350 would just be about 'normal', get them hot and they go higher summer days in Texas (here, whoopie!) and dogging it. Ford head and cylinder outsides of course, piston tops can be much hotter than that, combustion running to

250-350F would just be about 'normal'. For head and cylinder outsides of course, piston tops can be much hotter than that, combustion itself runs to over 1600F to make say the NOx that cars emit.

Back