• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

help with vin

shaunbe

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a cb750 that belonged to my dad back in the 70s but the title is lost and I'm trying to get a new one, the state of Texas has no record of the motorcycle and the license plate that was on the bike the tag expired in 83 and according to my local dmv is registered to a 97 Harley Davidson, my dad swears it's a 71 but my numbers don't seem to match up with them, I'd really appreciate if someone could help me out.

cb750-1056620

I'm not sure how to post a picture or I would post it so that you all could see the numbers, thanks for any and all help.

Yes it would be considered a 71. Its a late build 70 but would be called a 71. There should also be a metal tag riveted to the steering neck that will have a build date stamped into it.

Sorry for the double thread but one is about 8 months old and I forgot about it, there is nothing attached to the neck of the bike not even any holes from rivets as I have seen on some of the later model bikes as I'm looking though the forum.

Texas is conveniently (for them) dumping millions of records on titles to clean up the state system, if you don't have correct and clean numbers or lineage you can pretty much give up on it, they demand now that all original liens be re-released before you can even think about a clean title. That means anyone who ever had a lien on the machine has to give the clearance in paperwork they can see, they will not issue a title without it even if you are the original owner. BTDT. Wife misplaced my stack of titles and it is causing utter mayhem, even on vehicles registered only two years ago. They wipe them now if not registered every year.

Well, in November I got a bonded title for a 1968 ford n700 that I bought from some old man that never transfered the title and the truck hasn't been registered since 1999 no questions asked, I did the paper work paid the money and I now have a title to the truck in my name, it's bonded and in 3 years I'll get a clean title but I can go register the truck any time I want because according to txdot records I am the legal owner and I'm going to have to do the same for the 750 which in all reality is an easy but takes a couple of months to get taken care of, if this motorcycle hasn't been in my family since the early 80s I wouldn't be so worried about it.

I don't see how unless you paid a bundle for it. I can't get titles to vehicles I clearly own and can produce every VIN number they could possibly want, they find them after a search but no way do you get that title until you satisfy that lien issue with paperwork showing the lien is released as of NOW. Even final payment with acct. # and VIN and showing the bill is paid does not work. Even if it was signed off by the company once before, the state has tossed all record of that. One of my bikes is a CB550 and they are telling me I have to get a release from a dealership that disappeared many years ago. Bike was licensed in 2009 and they do not care, they show the physical company as still existing even though nothing is even at the address they state the company is located at, it's a vacant lot now. One car licensed only 2 years ago in the same situation. Even with my having the last registration recorded as to me. Several of them are one owner only and that being me.

I had clear 'no lien' titles on every single vehicle I own seeing this kind of stuff coming, yet the wife misplaced them...................grrrrr. Already got 3 of them cleared and new titles but the others are messing with me.

To top it off, I asked the clerk why they were doing this and he told me that getting clear title release was the responsibility of the individual not the business yet the law clearly states the BUSINESS as being the one required to send lien releases to the state. I showed that LAW to him and the look I got back then was pretty miffed to say the least. I thought he was going to pull in a DPS officer on me for making trouble there for a second.

Beware letting a year lapse without registering, that's what seems to trigger it. If you are current then no issue.

I hear other states are going to the same to weed out as many records as they can, the servers are just getting too full and they need to clear some room out and of course the normal guy on the street has to suffer through that. Here in Texas it may have started with the inspection/license (March this year) at the same time thing. Lord knows the DMV has choked on that one, the offices now have 10X the crowds they used to and many are over title issues. Go in too late in the month now and instead of 30 people in front of you there's 500, you can't even get into the offices some days now.

It wasn't very expensive to get the title for the truck, I have about $200 into it including the surety bond which is required to get a bonded title, I had no title at all for the truck and it hasn't been registered since 1999 and I didn't have any issues with getting the title, the cb750 hasn't been registered since 1983 and since there is no record of the vehicle according to the state I was told that I needed to get a bonded title, that's no problem to me as I've done it once with no problems so I'm not so worried about it.

It figures in this Republican-rape-you-every-way-they-can state that the cure would involve..................wait for it....................more money.

At $200 per I'd be bankrupt.

Yes $200 is a little steep but I try not too buy too many projects I already have enough not to mention I like to mod my new vehicles I have a 1994 f350 powerstroke that I've been throwing money into and I picked up a Honda grom just to mess around with, I'm trying to talk my wife into letting me mod her 2016 mustang ecoboost but she said she likes it the way it is. So I guess the 79 mustang will get all the big mods. So many vehicles and never enough money.

Back