• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

adjusting valves

bigcity81

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the 75 750f I have is supposed to have an 836 kit in it I have yet to determine and not sure how to go about that but that will be a different thread. So back to my main reason for the thread, adjusting the valves is there a difference in tolerances for the 750 and 836 kits

If it has a stock camshaft use stock specs...most aftermarket performance camshafts have there own valve clearance spec. What are your clearances right now?

Not sure haven't turn into it yet this is just all homework. Its all stuff I'd like to check over before she makes her maiden voyage

dont mean to burst your bubble, but that old "836 kit" is argueably the biggest lie ever told, and certainly told the most often. Look at your engine mount bolts, i bet at least one of them still has witness paint on it. There is no way to prove nor disprove this story, without pulling the head. Honda used witness paint on the engine mount bolts. look close, you would be surprised to see how many of the bikes all seem to have the 836 story, and still have the witness paint, meaning its never been out of the frame. Many people have never ridden a well tuned cb750. cut the inner back wall out of your air box, install a 110 main jet, set your timing at full advance, and even a stock CB750 will run like a scalded dog. Unless the new owner has ridden a well tuned multi cylinder, they will beleive the story. If you still think you have an 836 kit, go find a pal with a KZ1000, and run them off. If all you see is tail light, you DONT have one. A well tuned 836, while it will not beat a KZ1000, its a race.

Huh no kiddin people really puff up the 836 kit story that's shitty. I'd only hope the person who gave it to me would be truthful to that. So this witness mark is it like a little smudge of paint or something im curious? Do you roughly know what the piston diameter is for the 836 kit because id like to know so I can figure all this out for tuning purposes don't want to have a tune for a 750 when it could be a 836 or vise versa

Never mind my question if it's a smidge of paint I had a brain fart. So just look to see if the paint line has been broken so to speak?

it falls off once its broken. its been a long time so it could also have been scrubbed off ot ptrssure washed away also

Eh I guess I'll just pull the head off at some point and try and find a piston measurement for the 836 piston if anyone know the diameter that would be awesome

Back