• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Top End Rebuild Question

kakashi1578

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I have a 1978 Honda CB550k that im about to do a top end rebuild on, and was wondering about the possibility of not removing the engine to do it. My main question is if i have to remove the studs in order to get the cylinder block off. I ask because i don't want to risk breaking any of the studs if i don't have too. Also, any general tips from people who have done this before would be greatly appreciated since this will be my first time rebuilding a motorcycle engine. I plan on replacing piston rings, re-honing the cylinders, all new gaskets and seals of course, valve job, and probably valve guides as well. If theres anything else i should replace then please let me know!

How many miles on it? I ask because a lot of the time the rings are not that bad and can run more. The exhaust valves and especially with modern zero lead fuel eat up seats and valves to leak if compression is down. You'll be wanting to look close at your cam chain tensioner parts too.

IIRC, the 550 can have head removed without removing studs. I've got a '77 F but have never had to yank head.

Hope you got a source for parts; getting harder to round that stuff up............

How many miles on it? I ask because a lot of the time the rings are not that bad and can run more. The exhaust valves and especially with modern zero lead fuel eat up seats and valves to leak if compression is down. You'll be wanting to look close at your cam chain tensioner parts too.

IIRC, the 550 can have head removed without removing studs. I've got a '77 F but have never had to yank head.

Hope you got a source for parts; getting harder to round that stuff up............

I know that the head can be removed, but I'm wondering specifically about the cylinder block. The bike has 23k on it and has been sitting for about a year I think. Compression readings are lower than I want and the engine has several oil leaks around the top end. Hence why I think it needs a rebuild before it can be seriously driven. Parts are already ordered, can't quite find everything I want to replace though. If I could get main bearings I would probably go ahead and rebuild the bottom end too, but I seem to only be able to find green and brown bearings. But ya, I'm mainly wondering if the cylinders can be removed without removing the studs.

most of the time green main bearings are all you need. If they are in spec there is no reason to replace them anyway. The 500/550 engine is easy to pull anyway, I would pull it and work on it on the bench, much easier to replace rings and the cylinders when you dont have to work around the frame tubes anyway. Much less likely chance that you will get dirt and dust and other things falling off your frame and making there way into the engine. Much easier to clean and clean gasket surfaces.

Back