• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Timing adjustment out of limit

SeattleRod

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I'm checking shim gaps, cam chain tension and timing, and the timing is a little off. I tired to rotate the plate but it's at its limit, can't go any further.
What should/could I do correct the problem? Cutting the plate to increase the rotation doesn't sound right.
Thanks.

bc5a967fef6acd0ac09064a252f8f4ff.jpg

e8e706fc6fbcc45d1df16b270931a8f9.jpg

Commonly it indicates the center pulser 'knorbie?' has slipped, it happens on the DOHCs pretty easy as the locating lug on back of advance mechanism that keys into the end of crank is not as substantial as the one that came on SOHCs. It happens by turning engine by the gold hex you show in pic, you actually turn the engine always using opposite end of crank at alt. I know, more trouble, but THAT one does no moving of the advance assembly like moving the left side does. As you move the left end gold hex the advance pin keeps twisting more and more off the true location. The receiving hole is kinda sloppy too. Making you chase the advance with the plate. Common.

Be advised that Honda at some point realized the advance was moving around, and they applied so much loctite to the end of the '10' center bolt there; you won't believe how hard it can be to get some of them loose. Use substantial tooling (6 point socket) to loosen it or you can easily strip the corners off it. Some are easy and some are ungodly hard.

Obviously, make sure the advance unit is not hanging up either, possible even though bathed in oil there.

Thanks amc. Yeah, I can't tell you how many times I've turned the engine from the left side (following Clymer's steps) working on this bike to get it purring again.
Cool, no more turning the engine from this side. Finally my monkey arm will come in handy ;-)
I'll remove the advance and make sure the pin is sitting correctly.
Thanks again man, I really appreciate it. Once I'm done with this one, I'll try to figure out why the rear left turning signal is not working. Bulb and relay are good.
Cheers.

Back