• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Newb foot control question

r184120

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I see a lot of rear sets on cafes, but I dont love the feel of the ride on them. I also want to replace my stock foot controls with something cleaner and a little more polished. When looking online, I dont see much in the way of "mid controls" just forward and rear. Are rear sets what I should be looking at to just replace the stock location with?

If it helps, its a 78 CB750K.

Thanks!

What comes OEM on a 'K' bike is considered mid controls, people change them to forward or backward. Why you don't find them for sale, they wouldn't sell any of them. Nobody changes them just to look different, well, maybe a few, but not enough to keep a company in business.

And if you don't like rears then why are you asking if you should buy them?

Little in aftermarket sets works on the original positions, you have to use pretty much ALL of the parts so the ultimate position WILL change, as the pedals themselves commonly do not fit anything other than the modified mounting plates. For sure the brake pedal and gear change parts will be worthless so the entire cash outlay wasted on stuff that doesn't work.

What comes OEM on a 'K' bike is considered mid controls, people change them to forward or backward. Why you don't find them for sale, they wouldn't sell any of them. Nobody changes them just to look different, well, maybe a few, but not enough to keep a company in business.

And if you don't like rears then why are you asking if you should buy them?

Little in aftermarket sets works on the original positions, you have to use pretty much ALL of the parts so the ultimate position WILL change, as the pedals themselves commonly do not fit anything other than the modified mounting plates. For sure the brake pedal and gear change parts will be worthless so the entire cash outlay wasted on stuff that doesn't work.

Im asking if they will work in the mid position. I understand some modification would be needed. Mostly im asking if items sold as "rear" or items sold as "forward" would require less modification. In other words, which one will be simpler to make work in the stock position.

First sentence already answered.

Anything past second sentence is unanswerable. At least by me, I deal in logic and physical rules and I guess at pretty much nothing. I for one cannot understand my last paragragh for you.........................all I can do is tell you. You are asking for answers based on unobservable parts and practices, ergo, any answers will have no basis in reality.

This thread is like your other on same subject, You alone know what you are wanting to do there, the thinking must come from you. Guess what? When doing something never done then you ALWAYS have to come up with your OWN solutions. 'Cleaner and a little more polished' says stock parts modded by you (best) or others modded by you from a front or rear set. 'Less modification'? That's the OEM set if talking the least amount of work, one either gets that or they don't. These bikes never got the worthless (my opinion ONLY!) goldplated OEM-replacing modded 'trick' parts as sold by Kuryakin and others to do the exact same as an OEM part while sucking the owner's blood dry doing it.

Anything that was intended as a front or rear position then by definition should NOT work in the middle. If they did then middle position parts would work forward or rearward. Your answer. Didn't help you did it? Don't ask the question, look at the parts. If brain working it should be clear enough by doing that if doable or not, if not, then you don't have the skills to do it anyway.

Not trying to be mean or insult at all but it is what it is. We make life easy................or hard. Modding requires a certain amount of good solid INDEPENDENT thinking to end up in a good place, not having that one can dream all they want, it's only dream though. Reality is somewhat...........different.

Last edited:
First sentence already answered.

Anything past second sentence is unanswerable. At least by me, I deal in logic and physical rules and I guess at pretty much nothing. I for one cannot understand my last paragragh for you.........................all I can do is tell you. You are asking for answers based on unobservable parts and practices, ergo, any answers will have no basis in reality.

This thread is like your other on same subject, You alone know what you are wanting to do there, the thinking must come from you. Guess what? When doing something never done then you ALWAYS have to come up with your OWN solutions. 'Cleaner and a little more polished' says stock parts modded by you (best) or others modded by you from a front or rear set. 'Less modification'? That's the OEM set if talking the least amount of work, one either gets that or they don't. These bikes never got the worthless (my opinion ONLY!) goldplated OEM-replacing modded 'trick' parts as sold by Kuryakin and others to do the exact same as an OEM part while sucking the owner's blood dry doing it.

Anything that was intended as a front or rear position then by definition should NOT work in the middle. If they did then middle position parts would work forward or rearward. Your answer. Didn't help you did it? Don't ask the question, look at the parts. If brain working it should be clear enough by doing that if doable or not, if not, then you don't have the skills to do it anyway.

Not trying to be mean or insult at all but it is what it is. We make life easy................or hard. Modding requires a certain amount of good solid INDEPENDENT thinking to end up in a good place, not having that one can dream all they want, it's only dream though. Reality is somewhat...........different.

Thanks for the reply. Its clear that im not being clear, or that you are not following me. One or the other is true. A few guys on another forum were able to give me some great advice so no more responses are necessary. Let me say this though, you should consider being more respectful or just not responding. My grandmother used to tell me "if you cant say anything nice, dont say anything at all." Sir, if you have to qualify your statements with " lt trying to me mean or insult" then know that you are. So if you truly arent trying to, then dont hit reply at all.

This is a small community. Yes, im new and need some help. I came here for help and you reminded me why i stay away from forums, because the ones with the knowledge are elitist and make that known. Rather than taking away someone's dreams, why don't you use your obvious talents to guide and help? I think you could be a great mentor to someone with a change of attitude.

Hope you decide to stay r184120, there is good information here and generally everyone does what they can to help. As to your post, I would say rearsets may be slightly easier to make work as they are closer in location then forward controls but its all trial and error and alot depends on how you like how they look and work. Show us your work when you get it finished.

'Bout time OP figured that out. Being as clear as like on the car sites, or, 'my car is broken, please tell me what's wrong with it'. Oh, I did alright, OP just cleanly missed it.

Being more respectful of those who just ignored what I posted to ask it again? Good luck with that. Only an idiot would do that.

Pretending to know what is in others' brains (intention to insult) when can't even figure out his own brain? Priceless. Grandma was WRONG, sometimes people can only be helped by telling them that which they do NOT want to hear. MOST PEOPLE who come to sites like this are a BIG part of whatever problem they have with a machine, and their refusal to accept that has doomed countless projects and vehicles to the scrapyards. Fully 40% of the posts involve the owner as well as the machine not functioning correctly. Those people then cry out for 'teaching' but without adjustment of mental attitude there can be NO teaching. Elitists? They know the difference and are simply smart enough to be able to figure out when to cut their losses wasting time with people who do no understand much of anything. To people lower than that, yes, they would tend to think of those people as such. Surprise! A direct fit, that type will be surrounded by loss.

OP whines about others taking away dreams, and completely disregarded a way out of that I gave. Typical.

Off in his own little dreamworld. When you ask for what does not exist, you get.............what does not exist. Unless YOU make it. One either gets that or they don't. In a nutshell (think about that), OP wants something that only exists in his head, the problem is, it's not there either.

Great advice from others? If one cannot recognize a clear answer to then ask same question again, little hope there for advice, it will be ignored or misapplied like so many of them do. If one not sure of what he is even doing then what qualifies him to be able to recognize good advice to begin with?

Done with this OP and his vague so-very-not-to-the-point threads, a waste of my valuable time. Keep asking about forward controls that are middle controls or rear controls that are middle controls, you'll get LOTS of 'great advice' and I'd die to see that machine when done. I'd really try hard not to laugh too. In fact, I'm laughing now at my replies to this entire thread, that I even wasted my time on it. I should have guessed based on the plans in the OP's other thread what drivel it would be.

Still willing to help others and forever, but some of these people.........................whew (shaking head sadly)

Last edited:
You should consider being more respectful or just not responding. My grandmother used to tell me "if you cant say anything nice, dont say anything at all." Sir, if you have to qualify your statements with " lt trying to me mean or insult" then know that you are. So if you truly arent trying to, then dont hit reply at all.

Rather than taking away someone's dreams, why don't you use your obvious talents to guide and help?

Then ask your grandmother for advice about modifying your motorcycle. You've come to a forum populated by bikers. You should expect advice to be straightforward, without a bunch of "pie in the sky" stroking of your sensitive ego. Advice is given tongue in cheek at times, but it can be difficult to infer that (or any other emotion or inflection for that matter) in a typewritten response. You would do good to approach this, and any other online forum with a sense of humor...

Advice is freely given by other members, many of whom probably have better things to do, none of whom are at your beckoned call, and do not participate on this forum to serve your needs as you see fit. We are all just enthusiasts that are willing to share our personal experiences with fellow enthusiasts.

Your welcome.

Speaking of "pie in the sky", I do enjoy the Discovery Channels coverage of the Punkin Chunkin competition every year!

Hope you decide to stay r184120, there is good information here and generally everyone does what they can to help. As to your post, I would say rearsets may be slightly easier to make work as they are closer in location then forward controls but its all trial and error and alot depends on how you like how they look and work. Show us your work when you get it finished.

Thanks dirtdigger, that was the advice I got elsewhere, and exactly what I was looking for. I know there is no "bolt on" solution, but just wanted to know what the closest route would be.

Back