• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Clutch Pull Question

Pabeye

Older than Dirt
Reaction score
Guys, my recently acquired 1978 CB750 (15K miles) has a clutch lever that is very hard to pull........
Otherwise the clutch seems to be working fine....
The bike has not been ridden in a long time, any ideas?

Thanks in advance

first things first take both ends of the cable loose and see if it is rough and binding. Could be rusted and or dirt inside from sitting for so long.

Possibly that, I've yanked entire cable to hang it in the air and every time you walk past it for a day you dribble some more oil in the upper end to let it drain down inside cable, eventually it reaches the other end and often the cable gets much smoother.

Only thing that wears is cable liner, with 15k miles it should still be good. They were fine on the '77 550 I brought back to life.

if it sat outside it very easily can get rusted up, he wont know till he gets it apart and check things out. The cable itself can wear and fray also, all depends on how the bike was used and how things were cared for, after 30 odd years dont take anything for granted.

I pulled the cable off both endstoday and is not by any stretch of the imagination moving freely.

That would seem to indicate that the problem is the cable.........which is GOOD.

I have to replace the cable anyway as I HATE the high bars..........the purist's among yo please forgive me, but this old beat is destined to become a cafe racer.
Club man bars ( or maybe clip on's) are in store for her..........

Speaking of which does anyone know a good source for shorter cables? I will need throttle and clutch.......Choke will be OK as it will stay in the original location.
As always, Thanks in advance.

The inside cable should literally fall under its own weight if held upright at one end. most of the time stock length cables work well for lower bars. CB750supply has some that are pretty inexpensive but work well, i use them.

Thanks Dirt.....I will be buying one from CBSupply. While we are talking cables, I just bought a
"Superbike" style handlebar ( 2.5" rise ) The stock push/pull throttle cables are broken, and I figure I need a shorter cable anyway.
Any idea as to the length of the new cable........? Thanks in advance.

My '77 has the Renthal "ultra low" superbike handlebars & I run the stock length clutch cable (just replaced it in fact), works just fine.

New clutch cable installed........all is well........with the clutch cable anyway..........
Thanks one and all for your assistance!

New cables make everything feel better. Its a suprise how nice clutch and throttle feel with new cables.

Back