• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Fork Swap

Althezenman

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I am finishing up a 1982 CB750SC Nighthawk and have been trying to figure out what to do with the front forks for awhile now. I don't like the 37mm air assisted forks on the Nighthawk for a few reasons but mostly I am trying to find an aesthetically pleasing way to lower the front forks to match the lowered rear. Does anyone know if any other compatible CB750 DOHC or SOHC (or other bike) forks are already shorter than the Nighthawk's? I know how to cut and lower the forks, I am just wondering if there are any that are already shorter and won't require as much alteration.

Kind of a stupid question but I need to ask anyway--Would 35mm forks work without altering the neck stem and just replacing the triple trees? I ask because I think(?) a lot of cb750 forks are 35mm instead of 37mm.

Thanks for the help.

750F bike parts for '81 and later are 37 mm. and maybe a bit shorter I'm thinking. Air assist too though.

Look CLOSE at your triples, thinking Nighthawk has fork hole bores that are NOT parallel to the steering head, the bores are not dead straight; the bottom hole drops back to make fork more upright, the trail changes. Other triples like F bike are bored in parallel to the head and a bit of lowering there too as the fork is tilted further forward at the bottom.

The triples exchange on frames until you get to the big bikes like 1100, the head changes on that one.

Thanks for the reply to my question. Yes, I can definitely see what you are talking about concerning the triple trees on the Nighthawk. So, would the '81 and up CB750F forks be compatible by swapping triple trees also (meaning no alteration for neck stem or new forks)? The CB750F in the picture is the exact length I am going for although I guess these forks have been cut.

00p0p_chejGSh7rR_1200x900 (2).jpg

Yes. Bear in mind that the 37 mm. and bigger F forks require the different spaced front wheel that is around .300" wider, the '80 and earlier 35 mm. have same angles as the later but the triple holes are closer together to use the narrower front wheel. You use the triples that the fork uses OEM.

Back