• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1974 Honda cb750 purchase question

jaybird

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hey folks, been looking a 1974 CB750 online the last couple weeks and have a few opinions I'd like to get before I make a purhcase. The was originally purchased in the US and has 31,000 it's currently located in Nova Scotia, Canada. The gentlemen who has it forsale uses it as a daily driver currently as his car has broken down. It has a new inspection sticker and he's asking $2300 for it. I've looked at it twice, but he's hesitant to have anyone test it who doesn't have insurance. Anyway, i went to look at it twice and it has a few spots of oil under the backside of the engine, perhaps coming from the crankcase. There also appears to be some oil build up around the header and what appears to be a gas leak from one of the carbs. He says the dipstick is down about 1/4 inch every few days of driving and he drives it a lot.

I thought I might upload some photos of the drips and leak and see if anyone can spot any potential problems that i should be wary of before making a purchase. The rest of the bike appears to be in great shape. I love the style and look of the old 750's and this would be my first honda bike. Driven honda cars all my life and just have great faith in their engines and no one has ever said a single bad thing about the old SOHC's. Just don't want to run into major engine problems if these things possibly indicate something major.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. IMG_2256.jpgIMG_2257.jpgIMG_2260.jpgIMG_2262.jpgIMG_2263.jpg

Oil leak at the back could simply be the chain oil but could be a bad seal or gasket or as bad a a cracked case...no way to really tell by drips on the ground. The leak on the front of the engine by the exhaust is almost 100% the rubber nickel seals under the cam towers. The engine will have to be removed to do the work. Then the valve cover, camshaft, rockers and came towers need to come off then stick new rubber seals in and go back together. The carbs have been leaking for a LONG time looking by all the build up on the top of the cases. Looks like it is bad bowl gaskets. Not something I would be running as a daily driver with raw fuel running down on the engine then down onto the exhaust Dont know what old bikes go for in your area but around here that is about $1000 too much for a running bike around here.

Back