• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

New Build Project 79 CB750K

Grizzlyman

79 CB750K
Reaction score
I though I would share my current 79 CB750K build project. I picked up this bike several months ago from a friend that purchased it from the original owner. She was going to use it as a side car project but found a Yamaha SX that already had a hack. I had my eye on the CB for several months and admired them back in the day but never had the pleasure of owning one. I made an offer, she accepted, and now I have a low mileage CB750. The bike just turned over 9,000 miles and appeared to be in good mechanical order.

I completely disassembled the bike, removing the head set greasing the bearing, swing arm, caliper rebuild, carb cleaning, fork service, etc. Everything was removed, inspected and serviced. I adjusted the valves and cam chain tension, checked the compression and everything is well within factory specs. I fabricated aluminum side panels that will replace the OE panels, had a guy build a nice seat and scored a sweet deal on a new 4-1 Vance and Hines header. Cleaning the carburetors was time consuming as I removed the pressed in idle jets to completely clean the idle circuit. Cleaning the idle circuit is key on the CV style carbs. This allowed me to tune the carbs in nicely for the SX air pods.

I was little disappointed that the clutch slipped on my initial test run. The clutch springs weakened over the years. I ordered a new set of EBC springs and will be installing them soon. I use Rotella non synthetic oil and have had good experiences with Rotella in a verity of motorcycles. I need to install the brake light, side panels and clear coat the gas tank and I should be finished with this project.

IMG_0107_zpsb925156b.jpgIMG_0109_zps4ff63196.jpgIMG_0114_zpsb785de01.jpg

Grab a set of '81 or later carbs and the idle jets screw in.

The clutches are weak in OEM form, I could slip them in 5K miles but I was pretty hard on them. Replace the riveted 'shock plate' in the clutch with two steels back to back and clutch works better.

Hope you loosened up the valves a bit over the book spec, they say 3 thou but real world the number you get there is not accurate, for instance, you WILL burn valves at .002". I set at .005" the valve setting then stays MUCH longer with no issues.

Hi. This looks brilliant. Can you please share more info on how you did the rear hoop. Do you have more pics?

Also what shocks are those please? They are exactly what I am after :D

Lovely build. Well done :)

Back