• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Carb Install - Daryl Dixon

chuckt

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I know this may sound crazy, but I knew virtually nothing on motorcycles a few months ago. This site and others have helped with my project, so I am posting this here to see if anyone can help. As you can see in the pics, I have come a looonnnngggg way, so I can figure things out but on this one, I am hoping for a speedier learning process.

I am building the Daryl Dixon motorcycle from the Walking Dead. At this point, I am ready to mount the tank and get this bad boy running. The front end is an R6, but the frame and engine are a 1992 CB750. The tank is an XS650.

What I am looking for is exactly how to run all fuel lines from the tank to the carbs, in other words a video if you guys know of one or detailed instructions that may be out there on a step by step. I have scoured Youtube (and yes the user manual), but nothing really shows me how to go from the petcocks to the carbs and then the lines on the carbs. Also, I will be mounting an air cleaner from steeldragonperformance.com so I assume I will need to rejet the carbs, but I think I need to get everything installed first to see how the mix is. Yes, I know that the factory air box works best, but Steel Dragon says the air cleaner will work, and there are plenty of stories of guys who got it right. Top it off with the build needs to look as close as possible to the one on the show, and you can understand why I am dedicated to the look.

I have attached pics of the bike and the air cleaner (there are two air cleaners) as well, but again, anything like a video or detail on the carb install would be awesome. The bike is still only 80% done and my first one, so don't poke fun at a newbie.

Attachments

• IMG_8195.jpg
    IMG_8195.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_8201.jpg
    IMG_8201.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_8194.jpg
    IMG_8194.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 189
I understand where the confusion comes from. The 92 had emissions controls (smog) on it. A PCV and Fuel Vapor Recovery canister.

I believe, hopefully others with confirm or correct me, a single fuel line hooks to #1 in the following image. The rest is vacuum and vent lines and I'm not sure if you can just "plug" them off.

412680240.jpg

Yes, main fuel line joins carbs at #1. The two #2's carry fuel to the other carbs from there. The #3's you can just drop hose s straight down like the #20 picced there and leave them both open, they are fuel bowl vents.

Nothing else needed just to run correctly. All parts in right hand corner pic can be dumped but plug every hole at carbs left open by them missing or vacuum or dirty air leaks. At least one under bottom too. You have two crankcase vent lines coming from engine thinking, add long rubber hose to them and just dump them say in back of engine. What Daryl would do. Everything else, the pulse air solenoid if equipped, vapor canister can be dumped. All you need to run correctly is engine and carbs vented and carb fuel supply, you can dump an auto fuel valve too if you have petcock(s) at tank that can be cut off. You can defeat the front exhaust pulse air too if equipped. Again, plug remaining holes. Exhaust parts will get hot, rubber won't work there.

Of course, consider inspection law in your state, it may not be legal to dump all of that plumbing.

I laughed at the on-show bike when they had him idling very slow for many miles to lead the zombie horde, that bike would have burned motor down ages before they got that far.................LOL. Still, an awesome show.

Right corner

By dumping the parts in right corner, so you mean all those hoses 19, 21, 28, 29 etc?

Also, I have an XS650 tank which takes 2 petcocks, so I assume I will need to add a t before 1 or maybe skip the t if I can run one line into the no. 2 carb and the other line into the no. 3 carb.

The tubes in the separate section in the upper right corner of the schematic.

You'll want to hook up both petcocks to #1 using a T. Use a metal fuel line T not a plastic vacuum line T.

I didn't notice your location, here in Texas you'll want any dumping of emissions lines to look as clean as you can, you CAN get away with it but no need to make them guys ask questions. They will not know every single emission setup on bikes out there but they can see such things as fittings with no hose on them to press you on it.

So what are the holes at the bottom of each carb? I have one on top of each carb at the front and one on each carb at the bottom center? Cap those off also?

The ones on top front of each are for the #27, #28, and #29 hoses, block them off. The ones on bottom of carb do NOT block, they are drains, already blocked, the screw in bottom outside of bowl opens and closes the hole to drain bowls if needed. There are usually lines attached to them that lead off all to one close point say at back of motor so that draining does not simply dump fuel all over top of motor.

When I took it out for the first spin, it started to rev high and stay there, like around 5,000RPMs maybe. So, I figured it would need rejetting. I took it to a Dynotune shop and told them to dyno it and put in whatever jets worked the best. They said they had to put the biggest ones in there. Cost $400 for dynotuning and jetting, and money well spent. It screams. I mean really, it is a blast to ride, and loud.

Oh yeah it's a trip to run 80+ on a bike that feels like a mini bike.. only issues I'm really having with it is I've only got the pull of the push pull throttle system installed and it sticks or is slow to come off of throttle... may put the other one on eventually but for now I just deal with it.. I still have to make the bag, would like to see pics of yours if it's done.. I made the seat out of stock release mechanism so I could
Actually stuff crap in the bag...
Photo Oct 07, 2 52 48 PM (1).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5604.jpg
    IMG_5604.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 152
That looks great! Yeah, the bags I have are pretty good, but the final ones are being custom made. The mounted battery and electrical makes it a little trickier because I thought I could do a single bag that slipped through, but it has to be two bags. I will post a pic next week when I get it.

Yeah I ended up burying the battery in the swingarm and all the electronics in a little box behind the plate holder in between the shock mounts to hide it and to leave that whole area free for the bag...
Photo Aug 19, 3 58 32 PM.jpg
Photo Aug 14, 7 38 34 PM.jpg

Back