• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

How to lower front suspension

Althezenman

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I am trying to understand the proper way to lower the front forks on a 1982 CB750. From searching the forums, I have a general idea as how to do this but I want to make sure it is going to look the way I want it to. If you compare the photos I have attached, you will see two methods of lowering the forks. Currently, mine are slid up in the triple trees like the gold bobber, but I want to have the look of the "shorter" forks like on the black bobber. Notice the difference between the lower triple tree and lower fork casing on the gold bike vs the black one. I don't understand how the black bobber's forks are so much shorter even though both bikes appear to have been lowered about the same.

So if I lower the forks by shortening the spring and adding a spacer will it look like the forks of the black bobber (as far as distance between lower triple tree and casing)?

I hope all this makes sense. Maybe I am missing something obvious. Anyway, if anyone has experience doing this I would really appreciate some guidance.

Attachments

• 00p0p_chejGSh7rR_1200x900.jpg
    00p0p_chejGSh7rR_1200x900.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 462
  • 00P0P_kOToUp60lj_600x450 (3).jpg
    00P0P_kOToUp60lj_600x450 (3).jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 445
Where to begin?????????

How about here..............the two forks are not the same, the gold bike has leading axle ones like Customs use, the black one has centered axle one like F bikes use, the Custom fork is longer length. The Custom triple also commonly tilts the fork tube back (triple holes are not bored dead straight) to raise front of bike more too, the F fork tube holes are machined parallel to the main stem. Compare the front frame angle going up to the fork angle on both, the F fork sticks out further forward at the wheel, some of the length is wasted in sticking out further.

Lowering by cutting spring (spring gets much stiffer doing it) and then spacer to make up for it still ends up same length but the settle point may change. The black bike may have the fork tubes cut shorter, or you can cut the inner center damper tube shorter but that will kill fork travel distance. Maybe black one cut center damper tube and cut spring slightly with no spacer at all.

Think careful there-more involved that I did not mention like damper hole spacing/timing and such.

Last edited:
Back