• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Compression test

80hondaf

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I've got a question, I'm getting back at my 750 after a few years, I completely disassembled my bike and I powdered the frame, now it's goin back together but I want to do a compression test be for painting the engine so my question is what all do I have to assemble in order to do this? I know I need to install the carbs, do I need the air box or can I do it without it? Do I need the exhaust? Also in my Honda shop manual it says to warm up the engine before doing the test, is that necessary? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Leave carb rack off with open intake ports, yank all plugs, even works with no exhaust. Warm is better but you can cold, spin engine until each time the gauge stabilizes and note how long each cylinder takes, one taking forever means issue there. Suspect the gauge early, most are crap and don't use one that simply pushes up against plug hole, too unreliable. New OEM motor 170 psi, they run fine from 130 on up and dead cylinder at 100 or less.

Back