• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Sohc exhaust on Dohc?

motobecaneav10

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if it's possible to run a sohc kerker exhaust on my 82 dohc 750k? With the addition of pods and jets, is it worth it? Also, the only other options I've found have been MAC and Vance and Hines. I've heard iffy things about the MAC exhaust and almost nothing about Vance and Hines... Are either of these even worth looking into?

Positively will NOT fit. DOHC is deeper top to bottom.

The MAC is only to say I got a four into one on my bike, the last gen MIGHT be better. The V&H is better power wise but they use thinner steel than they used to, get the meg one, the one with the competition look and no meg breaks pipes at the collector WAY too easy but thinking those no longer made.

Pods may give you fits if the engine is not up to snuff, the CV carbs quit opening as well with pods if engine is down on seal. MANY have had major grief there.

Too bad Kerker still not making the first gen DOHC pipe, I've got one and it really works well, the meg baffle is easily modded to be only a bit louder but it gives a nice hit in midrange torque doing so. Of course, if they did probably $500 for one now. I bought mine back in the day for $160 IIRC.

Sorry if this was a "dumb" question. I've been working with different bikes and I'm on a budget, figured I'd ask before buying. Thanks anyway

Actually it's a reasonable question...........the cockpit statement was in reference to ME. As in dumbass operator making double posts.

Depends on the way the pipe runs under engine, the DOHC has a much deeper pan and some tuck under it, even some early DOHC didn't fit the later due to the 1/4" increase in block height due to added stroke. Kerker had to redesign over it. Mine fit tight enough being an early one that vibration broke a fin off pan from rubbing, and that was the short motor.

There I go, did it again. (Shaking head sadly)

Ok, no problem friend! Thanks for alleviating my noobish fears. I know that the dohc motor is slightly taller but to clarify, was wondering if fitment was possible. I have the ability to make brackets and slightly alter the shape with mandrel bending. Mainly looking for the proverbial "easy out" haha

Well, picking a correct fit part is always the EASIEST option............I would think that a longer chassis and taller engine on DOHC would have you running out of pipe length using SOHC measurements revised to DOHC. The DOHC also has an angled face rather than the straight one of SOHC when just considering cylinder alone. The two systems look closer than they really are once you start plotting points in space.

'Also looking for potential tuning specs based on pipes built for dohc vs dohc?'

Define that further, that went over my head. Did you mean one term to be SOHC?

Back