• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

750f clutch plate question

Que750F

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I just picked up a 75 f , the clutch was jerking into first gear and creeping forward, I tried some adjusting but didn't help the jerking or creeping but made it slip more once in gear. Also a note, once in gear if I gave enough gas not to stall it was impossible to get into neutral without stopping the motor. I took the clutch apart and found the inner basket/housing to be grooved from the friction plate, I'm sure is the cause of the clutch not disengaging properly. I have 7 friction plate and 6 steel plate, from what I've read to order new parts for the f is I need 6 friction plate 1 friction plate with the larger tang but only 5 metal plates. Also I do not have the double thickness metal plate, should I? Also would filing down the grooves on the inner basket be a bad thing?it would be a temp fix so I can drive a bit this summer to get a feel for the new bike before I tear it down this winter. Thanks for any input.

All plates have a certain thickness and added together make up a total stack height that must be kept the same to work right. Yes, you need the shock absorber plate or something in same thickness, on the DOHC at least two regular metal plates equal that absorber and people commonly replace the one with the other as the absorber has a tendency to shed parts off it. See if SOHC is the same way.

Depends on how deep the outer/inner housing grooves are on the tabs. You can file/grind flat to a very small point but doing so increases slack there, could break off outer tabs from impacts if you ever pop the clutch or other hard use. You'll have to be the judge there.

If someone has traded OEM parts for a 'hotrod' hi-perf type clutch pack then you commonly can get accelerated wear there, the thinner discs do it.

Back