• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Complete Newbie

CTaylor

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hi all. I just picked up a '72 CB750 from a friend (payment for helping him move), but I have no idea where to start. The bike hasn't run in 10+ years, the tires crumbled in the trailer on the way home, and rust flakes were falling off as I was pushing it into my garage. Title and keys are long gone. I've always loved to tinker (fixed/tuned up lawn mowers, etc.), but I think I may have bitten off way more than I can chew. :eek:
Advice on where to start is greatly appreciated. TIA!

Make sure engine turns over, turns clockwise on right side end of engine as you sit on the bike. If engine locked pretty much a dead idea.

I'm starting to think I should have just demanded BBQ for payment instead of accepting the bike. :laugh:

Last edited:
Is the bike all there? You'd be surprised with these machines just how easy they are to "frankenstein" again! Check all the side covers, gauges, carbs, and other important parts. If the engine isn't seized then awesome! If it is then you can probably pick up one on ebay or maybe even craigslist for around $500. Check to see if you can shift through the gears smoothly as well. If you can kick it over try and check for compression. If this is all good you're gonna need new tires, battery, spark plugs, etc. Check the tank for rust, if rusted maybe try and flush it out (apple cider vinegar and smaller chain and move it around and then dump) some people may offer different way but that's how I've done it. You can also have it boiled out at radiator shop but that usually destroys the paint. Replace or clean fuel filter, clean/replace petcock so fuel will flow from tank, clean the carbs. Cleaning the carbs can seem like a daunting task but honestly just watch some videos on youtube and you'll get it. Change the oil/filter and other fluids on the bike as well and put it all back together (take pics as you go in case you forget where something went or how it went). With a little love and a lot of cursing you'll eventually get it going just like I did mine. Post some pics of what you got!

Back