• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Front sprocket play? Please help.

nsxguy7

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I've searched for the answer to my problem. Please help if you know the answer.
I replaced my worn out front sprocket with a new one. I replaced the retaining washer as well.
I have everything tightened down, but I can still wiggle the sprocket back and forth a tiny bit on the shaft with my hand. Is this normal? I've owned a lot of bikes and never saw this before. I looked over everything and about the only thing I can think of is that the retaining plate with two 10mm screws in it is possibly to thin? I know I'm grasping at straws here, but I've searched everywhere and can't come up with the answer. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
The sprocket floats because there is a hole in the shaft that lets engine oil leak out and oil the chain. The hole is in the grooves in the shaft. That is what the little straight blade screwdriver screw on the end of the shaft is for...to adjust oil flow for chain oiling.

Back