• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Wanted - Needed: Parts for my new 1978 CB750

fendersrule

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Even though I haven't received my bike yet (but I received my title and key yesterday though), I'd like to get some parts located so I can quickly order them when it arrives so it can be here a week before thanksgiving. Reason being, my father is coming down for Thanksgiving, and it would be nice to give him something to do..:)

Since this is my first bike, I'm going to split this up by two phases. The first phase is all about OEM and Safety. The second phase is all about customization and paint. For the Phase 1 items, please let me know if you have the part, or know of the best place to get it. I am looking for parts there are in very good to mint condition.

This is my bike:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1978...e-/251170017016?forcev4exp=true#ht_500wt_1182

Sikopal has listed some great things that I will also go through and incorporate:

first thing I would check would be engine compression, then go through the wiring soup to nuts to make sure it was functional. Then start working on all gaskets, seals and bearing inspection (front and rear wheels). Swing arm bushing inspection as they are known to wear, as well as front fork overhaul or at least new seals. Finally check rear suspension as they are notoriously undersized for the average American rider, Progressive, Ikon, and Halgon all make good aftermarket replacements that will provide good ride for the weight of the 750.
Also, if great importance is to check the carbs and air filters to make sure they are in good working order, a good cleaning and gasket replacement would be a good start.
@skiparachi, I agree with Travis And think your comments were a bit harsh. This guy is asking for help, this forum is setup for that purpose. Let's try and keep it positive, supportive, and keep the trashing of others on other sites!
@travis, keep up the great work and supportive comments!

Phase 1:

1) Front OEM Blinker Lights Assemblies (and I was assume that mounting assemblies are needed as well?). I assume the bulbs can be found at any auto store?

2) Any possible kit that would be needed for a Honda CB750 for tuning up the carbs, replacing various gaskets, etc. Even a list of the basic stuff a Honda motorcycle owner needs to have in their garage would be great. I've finished decking out my garage with craftsman tool chests last weekend (and of course a nice array of tools and basic cleaners/solvents).

3) <Possible> Tires. I want the biggest tires I can fit within those OEM fenders, and I've always loved how raise-white-letters look on the Honda CB750. I have heard that the 100/90V19 and 120/90V18 sizes are ideal for these bikes. Do you think those are the sizes that are on my bike now?

4) LED Headlight and Taillight "flashing" kit. Once you see this headlight in action (my friend who has a Harley has one), then you realize that it's probably the safest investment for your bike. It forces traffic to see you. This is the kind that you can control your headlight to be off, flash, or on.

5) Rear shock covers (may be moved to phase 2). Ok, I know this doesn't belong in phase 1, but do like the look of the older CB750 shock covers. I assume that they are compatible with the 1978 CB750s? They could be cheap and easy enough where I'd like to include them in this phase. :)

6) Discover what's wrong with the horn. May just need a new horn. I'd like to get a horn that is louder than OEM, but without any modifications.

7) Crash Bars! I want some good looking crashbars that have footrests.

8) Rear suspension replacement (may be moved to phase 2).

Phase 2 (next year):

1) Get an original left side cover and emblem

2) Paint Freedom Green and put on classic (Pre 1978) pin striping.

3) Shave and reapolsry the seat, or find a 1977 Honda CB750 seat.

Looks like no one is replying. Let me follow up to stimulate this!:

1) Front OEM Blinker Lights Assemblies (and I was assume that mounting assemblies are needed as well?). I assume the bulbs can be found at any auto store?

I'm going to assume eBay is my only option. Many venders are not selling OEM parts, but things that are "just like" OEM. Do you guys recommend any blinker assemblies on the web right now that are very high quality and period correct for a '78 CB750?

2) Any possible kit that would be needed for a Honda CB750 for tuning up the carbs, replacing various gaskets, etc. Even a list of the basic stuff a Honda motorcycle owner needs to have in their garage would be great. I've finished decking out my garage with craftsman tool chests last weekend (and of course a nice array of tools and basic cleaners/solvents).

Wouldn't mind any tips or tricks on this

3) <Possible> Tires. I want the biggest tires I can fit within those OEM fenders, and I've always loved how raise-white-letters look on the Honda CB750. I have heard that the 100/90V19 and 120/90V18 sizes are ideal for these bikes. Do you think those are the sizes that are on my bike now?

What do you guys think about these tire sizes? Any recommendations on tires with this size that has RWL?

4) LED Headlight and Taillight "flashing" kit. Once you see this headlight in action (my friend who has a Harley has one), then you realize that it's probably the safest investment for your bike. It forces traffic to see you. This is the kind that you can control your headlight to be off, flash, or on.

I've already found a modulating kit. Any experience if they've help any of you out? I know some people personally that live by them.

5) Rear shock covers (may be moved to phase 2). Ok, I know this doesn't belong in phase 1, but do like the look of the older CB750 shock covers. I assume that they are compatible with the 1978 CB750s? They could be cheap and easy enough where I'd like to include them in this phase.

I definitely wouldn't mind a response to this? Is this possible, and where could I buy!

6) Discover what's wrong with the horn. May just need a new horn. I'd like to get a horn that is louder than OEM, but without any modifications.

I will have to wait until the bike arrives in order to diagnose this

7) Crash Bars! I want some good looking crashbars that have footrests.

My dad just purchased a '79 CB750L. The crash bars look fantastic; it's almost like you really have to look for them to see them. A couple days ago, I saw a big with HUGE crash bars, and it looked funky. Any recommendation on nice, clean minimalistic crash bars?

8) Rear suspension replacement (may be moved to phase 2).

This is another one I'm going to wait until I get the bike, and then move this into phase 2

By the way, my bike gets here in 2-3 more days. I want to get some of these things lined up so I can utilize my dad when he arrives.

Back