• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

engine compatibility between 1980 and 1982 cb750f

skyriser92

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I'm rebuilding a 1980 cb750f engine and I have found a couple parts that are from 1982 cb750f that look pretty good but I'm not 100% sure that they work with my engine. As far as I know the engines of F model were all the same between 1979 and 1982 and I'm hoping you guys can confirm that. Are all the parts interchangeable between those years on the f level engine? Thanks!

Yep, but watch out for conn rods, they can be different matched set weights. May be slight minor bearing journal sizes too. '82 carbs better because of screw-in pilots instead of pressed-in. '82 engine may have the better modded shift linkage but they do interchange. Later motor exhaust studs are bigger and possible bigger front top engine mount bolts too. '82 cams have slightly different valve settings marks on the ends.

Not only that, many 900, 1000, and 1100 parts will fit too but have to know which ones. 750 of other models the same too, a very few differences there too.

If I could add a question, I posted a different thread regarding con Rod bolts for a 1980. Have you been able to source them for your rebuild? They are discontinued but there must be an alternative?

First question would be why one needs them, the same ones can be reused on stock engines but if racing or very high mileage you'll want new ones if you are going to use the entire performance envelope. FYI, '81 or '82 bolts should fit and thinking bigger ones like 900 will too. Same journal size on all meaning rod pretty close in size...........

Pretty much OEM Honda the only way to get those bolts, no one else ever offered them, to my knowledge anyway. Might try David Silver Spares in England, they have a lot of leftover NOS stuff.

Yeah there seems to be very differing opinions on re-using them. My concern is if someone else has over tightened them in the past or something. Makes me a bit nervous but seems like I have no options anyway, unbelievable considering how many bikes the part number covers. Thanks for the advice.

You could contact ARP and see if they have a bolt in the stock dimensions, chances are they have something that would work.

If YOU were the one that broke the joints there, how they came loose would speak bunches.......................and if eyes wide open it becomes pretty obvious when someone has been in engine before you, the engines have so many parts and so complicated it is generally easy to find evidence somewhere or another that someone has been inside. Very hard to get them apart without at least a few dings and dents. Very few people can get rods apart and back together as cleanly as Honda can, the bearings will show it in scratching or other.

Gonna get controversial here for a moment, in my belief you risk as much by changing the bolt as using the old one, the old pressed in slightly and the rod has molded or settled itself in to that press. Change the bolt for another and you really if doing it 100% correctly are supposed to re-machine the big end after the new bolts are in, they can be in a slightly different spot. Say new head slightly off from the body or OD not as big or too big or other minute detail. Other people switch those bolts willy-nilly and claim no issues but after drag racing a lot of high rpm car stuff I came to understand it can be better NOT to change the bolt unless one has a very good reason to do so. I think doing it can lead to other issues that are not later thought of if the engine comes apart as in instantly, or a bearing spins. A new bolt can as well have a different radius under the head to preload at the broach, that can absolutely blow a motor. A new bolt is untested too, what if one has a flaw in it? The old ones have already proven out.

See how some of that can work? Food for thought.

Look around, thinking there are some 1100F bolts that are not spiral knurled on the sized body, they are much stronger as a result.

Last edited:
Yeah those 1100 bolts are the same part number. Unobtainium indeed. Thanks for all your feedback, I will go with your advice and use the existing ones. Will certainly save me time waiting for new ones to arrive.

Back