• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Brake Light Switch Spring

diesel2000

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Firstly im new here and this is my first post but I cant find a section for introductions. Anyway im a new owner of a 77 F2 from the UK (County Durham) and I have a question regarding the rear brake light switch that I hope someone can help with.

The spring on my bike is missing, ive ordered a new item but cant really figure out a simple way to fit it due to limited access. Is there a guide anywhere to do this job?

Thanks, and ill get some pictures up tomorrow!

The switch is adjustable. I will usually adjust the switch all the way down to relieve the most tension. The switch is a simple "snap fit" into its bracket. Remove the switch from its bracket by lifting/pushing up, connect the spring to the brake pedal first, then hook the spring to the switch, then raise the switch into position sliding the spring through the slot in the switch bracket, press the switch down into its bracket, then adjust the collar on the switch so the brake light activates when the pedal is depressed. The spring will stretch to permit raising the switch into place, just don't get too enthusiastic and overstretch the spring or break the switch. I've installed the switch this way many times with no issues.

EZPZ

The spring also stretches during operation as the brake pedal usually travels farther then the switch can so start as Madmtn says, with the switch all the way down. Then lift it with your fingers until the spring has the least tension on it while not loose at each end then turn the adjusting nut to that spot and start your trial and error adjustments from there.

412628169.jpg

The spring also stretches during operation as the brake pedal usually travels farther then the switch can so start as Madmtn says, with the switch all the way down. Then lift it with your fingers until the spring has the least tension on it while not loose at each end then turn the adjusting nut to that spot and start your trial and error adjustments from there.

412628169.jpg

The bracket in the picture looks a little different than the K model bracket. The K model bracket has a slot in it so you can place the switch into the bracket with the spring attached. If your bracket does not have a slot in it then worst case you might have to take the bracket loose if you can't get the spring looped into the pin on the switch. Either way, it's not too difficult.

My main concern was more the casting that covers the lower part of the spring and how to get to the hook behind it. It either looks really awkward or it looks like the casting will need to be removed which means removing one of the swingarm bolts.

The bracket in the picture looks a little different than the K model bracket.

The white illustrated arrow is covering the slot in the photo. I had to do a double take too ;)

My main concern was more the casting that covers the lower part of the spring and how to get to the hook behind it. It either looks really awkward or it looks like the casting will need to be removed which means removing one of the swingarm bolts.

I didn't understand this question at first. Now I've looked at the F2 supplement and see that casting that is covering the brake light switch.

OK, this is what it looks like under that casting. The end of the spring 9 goes in that hole in 12.

412629742.jpg

And now here's a close up of 12, there's a little slot in the bottom of the hole. So yeah, it looks like fishing is required, but not impossible.

412629783.jpg

Last edited:
LOL! I didn't realize the large white portion of the picture (around the bracket) was a double arrow, I thought it was part of the bracket.

Yeah, the later F model is a little different than the K, but I think the slot in the bottom of the lower arm should allow installing the spring without taking anything apart. I don't recall having any trouble with my 78 CB750F brake switch spring.

Actually, a new member just posted a picture of this exact thing on a bike he's thinking of buying.

412633167.jpg

Back