• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Alternator output drops with run time CB750K76

Artie

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Have been out twice and battery starts to go dead tested output and got 13-16 volts after first time and cleaned and checked all electrical plugs ,battery is new and gives 10.5 cranking volts just hooked up my multimeter and went for a ride
Cold start have seen 13-15 volts output but ride until fully heated up voltage won't get over 11.5 at any rpm,that's why in about 2 hours battery is dead
Now which component,rotor or stator any links to test ???

Thanx Dave
per excellent instructions from hondachoppers site,seems I've got bad stator and field coil,ohms between three yellow stator wires is .7 .6 and .5 no continuity to ground but long way from.2 ohms Leads of Multimeter are .1 ohms so ave of .6 does that mean stator NG??
Field coil readings are open OL between green and white should be 7.2 ohms and green continuity to ground,per hondachoppers both bad correct?
Thanx in advance to valuable forum members input much appreciated

Nothing wrong most likely with stator, the numbers are within reason. The exact meter you use often determines low numbers below 1 ohm. I can get ten different readings with ten meters there on a known good part, an electrical thing. From .2 to .7 is extremely close in ohmville.

The field coil though appears to be toast.

Back