• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

My Welding/Fixture Table

Travis

Forum Staff
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I thought I'd show you guys what I've been up to over the weekend (and a couple of nights last week).

Last spring I got some heavy steel plates off of Craigslist to use as a top for a smallish welding/fixture table. Here's a picture of them on the temporary stand I made when I first got them. With both pieces, the table top is only about 32" x 42", but 1-1/4" thick so it weighs about 525lbs. :) The plates were used as machine bases and are flat to within a few thousands. :thumbsup:

weldtable01.jpg

Well nine months later, I finally got around to making a real base for the table...

I flipped the plates upside down and built the new base for the table using 2" square tubing. It took a lot more work to get this far than I though it would! I'm somewhat of a perfectionist so that didn't help!

weldtable03.jpg

It has 3/8" plates that the corners of each top piece bolt to. Each piece can be individually leveled using set screws. The legs of the base also have swivel leveling feet to level the whole thing. The top has a 2.5" overhang all the way around to make clamping things to it easier.

weldtable04.jpg

Here are a couple of shots of it pretty much done. I just need to add a shelf on the bottom and actually level the top pieces on the base. I might also add a few tool holders.

weldtable05.jpg

weldtable06.jpg

My 5" Wilton (Snap-on branded) Vise! Great Craigslist score!
weldtable07.jpg

Putting the table to use.
frame_jig_kit_assembled2.jpg

Attachments

• 20151118_142547.jpg
    20151118_142547.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 195
Holy crap! That's a sweet setup!! You should see what I weld on.. It's hilarious in comparison to the pro setup you've got there...

Nice table! I think with it being so heavy a set of steel wheels on the bottom would be nice. I've seen tables with a lever on the side that raises the wheels and sets the legs on the levelers for stability when in use. A quality vise is a wonderful thing and always a welcome addition.

I'd like to have a space big enough to even consider doing something like that. Someday.......

Thanks guys.

Andy, I thought about putting wheels on it, but I don't plan to move it much so I'll just use a moving dolly and car jack when I need to move it. I moved it into position that way and it wasn't too bad. I have a wheel and leveling feet setup on my tube bender but decided against it on this one. The vise is great... I never realized what I was missing until I got it. I was used to the cheap Chinese ones.

You're right about it being an XS650 frame, but that one is just in there to show the frame jig, not the one that's getting 23's someday. In about a month, I'm going to start selling DIY frame jig kits to compliment the hardtail kits I sell. That's the prototype so I used a frame I had laying around (from a non-titled bike I parted out) to test out the jig.

Attachments

• frame_jig_kit.jpg
    frame_jig_kit.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 215
  • P7100359.jpg
    P7100359.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 296
Man - if I only could get that bigger shop I'm trying to get, I would certainly get me one of those kit's.

Attachments

• honda-cb-750k-restored-cafe-racer-photo-gallery-50548-7.jpg
    honda-cb-750k-restored-cafe-racer-photo-gallery-50548-7.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 223
Nice lookin' table Trav, those plates look the same as ones I see every couple of weeks. (got a couple in the other day) I work for the expediting company that gets the freight up to one of the diamond mines up here (Diavik Diamond Mine). Those plates are called "feeder liners", the mine gets them from a company called Nordstrong Equip. in Calgary Alberta. They are used to line giant hoppers that the massive dump trucks unload the ore into, on the way to the crusher, and they replace them as they wear out. Man I know those things can be heavy, we have to move them around by hand to label each one because they are for the most part, custom fit, and the mine has their own information they want on them. They most likely are water cut, as the edges are very clean with no signs of heat.
feed-liners.jpg

Attachments

• WP_20160126_18_23_22_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160126_18_23_22_Pro.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:
Andy, thanks. The plates for the frame jig kit are laser cut.

Pawl, are you going to build yourself a welding table with those?

Thanks... I'm shooting for around the $200 mark. I will have them available in about two weeks and will post more details then. :thumbsup:

Back