• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Winter Cafe build off Home Thread. I challenge you.

cyclebuster

CB750 Addict
Reaction score
Am starting Nov 10 on a 1978 cb750 cafe project. just stuff on hand in the shop to install. I will post a pic. Lets see what you can build. All used parts in major construction. Bling is up to you, but its not a dollar bill contest, as there doesnt seem to be a prize yet.
HOWEVER. I do have the address of a production company looking to make a reality series, i will run the "homegrown" contest off them once just for giggles.

Rules.
1 The motor vehicle must be 100 percent safe to operate. brakes must meet or exceed date of manufacture front and rear.
2 custom paint is prohibited. Owner/builder must "rattlecan" the bike himself. you can repaint it after the contest.
3 The motorcycle itself must be able to operate even if less lighting and gauges and be entirely repurposed.
4 lighting and gauges are up to the builder, and can be new but will not be considered as part of the build. even if not installed.
5 NO Comercial Chroming of any part is allowed. Used Chrome parts are acceptable. Home plating such as nickel accepted. must prove it.

If you have a project in mind and want to play along, get your pic of a bare frame, complete bike, or roller with the serial number in plain view.
If you have a runner, and want to refurbish it, it must be taken completly apart, and the rattlecan rule applies.
A photo must be taken of every days labor.

black motor with early carbs. stock 78 tank. "shaved bare frame look" Thats my theme.
I have some real neat goodies to chose from already, so if anyone wants to do a Till March 1st build off, all ya need is a bike, a plan and a camera.
And one more issue. Everyone helps everyone on technical questions. In a single seperate thread.

Lets not plug the bandwidth here, All replies start here, and the new contest thread will launch Nov 10 depending.
I will not cut anything until then.

If nobody wants to play i will build mine anyway. Winter is for building.

Last edited:
Interesting concept. It kind of sounds like the rules cater to your capabilities though :twocents: For example, a lot of guys paint with guns in their home garages. What about a rule to just not outsource your paint job (the current rule would actually benefit me since I don't paint)? I'm tempted to play along just to motivate me to work on my bike! I don't understand all of the rules about the electrical and lighting though. And all the major parts must be used? That might take me out of competition because I'll probably buy a seat and exhaust. I guess I could give a shot at making those too.

I wish you had done this over the summer, Here in FLa. this is when I ride the most plus I just finished mine. Good luck though.

Love the concept. I don't know if I know enough about building bikes to do this. I did just buy my first cb750k5 about 4 weeks ago now. Theres A LOT of stuff I'd love to do to it. Like a Cafe build. But money and know how are what I lack. Also being that the bike I purchased runs but is painted mostly flat black except for the white tank it would make sense to do something like this.

well you suggest some rules. I also have a spray gun. I was hoping to limit it to home garage level. As for the lighting, I just wanted to use repurposed peices, not go buy it all. I dont care if any one part is off the same bike.
You have to admit the biggest weapon in any bike building is the checkbook. I want to level that feild.
IDEAS?

for example i will be using a very well used vintage 70s Dunstall seat. and probabaly a used pipe i took off a cb750 i parted.
USED PARTS thats my idea. I dont want to compete even for funsies with a chrome and custom paint shop.
and i dont care if you want to build a 78 GS550.

hmm.. maybe just allow for a couple of new parts but require that none or very little of the work be outsourced. I would probably need to get brake lines made, and have my cylinders bored, not sure yet. Can you buy new parts from someone who bought it new but never used it? Can I have a shop upholster my seat? I don't have an sewing machine.

How about 90% used parts, 90% of work done yourself, no chroming of parts or outsourced paint. ???

ok, well how about this. Inside your engine is your business. maybe lets say 3 exceptions total from the used parts theme. Seats totally excepted, I cant build one either, thats decent to look at.
i am really building a shop rat, cafe style from all the parts i have here. I wont be buying anything.
nothing but bragging rights.

Sounds good to me. Now if I can just convince myself to get this done. Step one, clean garage!

not yet, soon, i just got the free 1980 running, and almost ready to sell. its just a rolling frame and engine, so I will get pics this week.

Yeah I haven't done anything either other than clean the garage.. And I'm heading out of town for Thanksgiving. You sure you want to stick to the March 1 deadline? I'm not sure I'll even participate but I'm hoping this will get me motivated!

Well the garage is getting dirty again. Now I need to install my new heater, wire the oven for powder coating, and do a bunch of other wiring for my new toys (tig, plasma, big compressor). I did get the CB750 out of the shed and into the garage though so it's the first thing I see when I step out into the garage. Any progress on your bike?

got swept aside by several other purchases. It will be out this week i promise, and get pictures.

Well a nice low mileage 74 CB750 got in my way, the frame is out being painted. I did drag the 78 out. It a 10,000 mile bike. Engine is sweet, awesome compression, no leaks. I hung a Kerker 4 into 1 on it, will get some pics tomorrow. i like the looks of the 78s, almost want to restore it.

www.cyclebusters.com

well heres the Honda updates. the CB750 DOHC ran great after i spent hours upon hours making a carb set out of 2 mucked up racks. installed a windjammer, and rear rack, sold for the opening bid, I wish him well.
The 1974, once the crap was peeled off, was a nice 14k bike. SO its been stripped to a bare frame, and sandblasted. i have a bunch of real nice chrome i have been hoarding, along with a sweet Freedom Green Metallic body kit, NOS seat, and nicest set of hm341 pipes i have seen in many years. The frame is in Mikes basement, being painted. The engine is awesome, great compression, no damage anywhere. I took the carbs apart, they look like new inside, no wear on the slides, float area mint. The poor thing has just been dumfacked by a doomuss.
The 78 has been setting in back here for 6-8 years covered. we pulled it up, and oiled the engine, let it set a day to work through the rings, and man is that a sweet engine. awesome compression, not a single noise in it, all 4 suck and thump wonderfully. I tossed on a 4into1 Kerker, and am looking for a late set of carbs to build this one with, i am pretty sure the intakes are wrong to use the old carbs with.
I will be taking apart my one owner 76 model this spring too, it needs a set of wheels and an exhaust, but its so nice i am going to do a frame off on it as well.
My brown and gold 72s are ready to put gas in, with a few minor details. With these things taking all my time away from my goldwings, I sure hope CB750 are strong sellers again this year.

Back