• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Handlebar change

stevenolts

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I would like to change my handlebars to something a little more comfortable. I was thinking something like 12" mini apes to get the handlebars closer and up a little higher.

I would appreciate any advice you may have.
Is there any info available on the stock cable lengths / handlebars etc...

I think I will need:
bars
brake lines
throttle push pull cables
brake cable
clutch cable
extend the electronics wires / turn signals / brake signal / start kill switch

I know everyone loves the cafe racers / I want my bike to be a sport tourer.

I added:
Givi AirFlow windshield
Avon sport bike like tires
progressive springs
leather covered saddlebags from my Harley Fatboy
rear brakes
cleaned carbs
rear brakes

I need:
more comfortable handlebars
more comfortable seat
Givi Top Case
front brakes / calipers
maybe 900 cam swap
rear progressive springs

Steve

Here is a picture of it!!!

My Honda CB750K 1981.jpg

Press-in weights that insert in bar ends.

Have not a clue, I generally reroute cables and such to spread out length to not look bad when bars are changed but that's going shorter bar. If wanting longer look at the Customs (CB750C models), they have longer bars.

First, you have to learn how to measure handlebars then decide exactly what change would make them comfortable, don't forget wrist angle. This will also reposition your mirrors too so make sure you'll still be able to see around your arms.

I already went through that here -> http://www.cb750.com/threads/726-How-to-measure-handlebars (there's a link in there to site with stock lengths)

There's should be enough info that thread to help you pick the bars you want as for the cable, not a clue. There's usually enough slack to go a few inches higher with minor rerouting but anything beyond that will require holding your cable up next to another.

The most likely issue will be the front brake line.

The OEM bars are usually weighted to stop vibration. You won't get rear springs without shocks.

Amc, as far as I know my 74 didn't come with bar weights. Do you think I could get some to reduce vibration of my bars?

I have nary a clue. I should have clarified by mentioning DOHC, I know not on SOHC. And I won't swear all DOHC have them but the ones I've messed with that are DOHC and OEM part did. The 750 and Euro 900s are solid engine mount and buzz like the dickens, the later bigger motors then go to rubber mount but 750 was always solid. The bar mounts press in in such a way I'm not sure they could come out without destruction. They fit in the very ends to use leverage against the vibs.

Well lookie here...........

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/sear...A/HANDLEBAR+++TOP+BRIDGE+++KEY+SET/parts.html

...maybe they come out easier than I thought, I simply looked and never tried to tell the truth. Parts 10, 11, and 12 in the pic. 11 is a simple rubber grommet thinking to support and lock part in place and 12 is called out as a snap ring. The weight would be the most important part, and duplicating the idea could be cheaper and still work.

I will be able to use the original bars with these. They will allow me to bring the bars closer and up higher but still allow the bars to go up and down like normal. This will keep the angle correct and the standard bar configuration intact.

I will let you know how they work out / I will need to get new cables etc....

Back