• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

75 cb750 chop

savage454

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I posted in the main forum but thought I'd post here also. I'm Ryan, new to the forum and this is animal mother. I got tired of the Harley chops and have always wanted a cb750. So I traded my sportster swing arm chopper for it. I'm not as hip to these bikes as I am Harley but I can already tell it'll be a love affair. It runs excellent and isn't as low as the pics imply. Has a new clutch so finding neutral is a bit sticky. I do have a couple questions.
1. Are these bikes supposed to have a sewing machine tick while running or does that imply checking valve clearance?
2. What's a normal temp range for them running in summer weather? I'm in Michigan so upper 70s to 80s
3. There's some cool things on this bike. I didn't build it but the guy I got it from claimed he found it in a barn with only 800 original miles and that it was a finch built bike. There is paperwork but no pictures so I'm not 100% sure that's true. This guy has owned the bike for 8 years and has put about 8000 on the bike. Only modified parts from original are shortened front end, electronic ignition, and seat. My question though, is, is it normal to have a pressure release for the carbs when you turn the key? I turn the key and sometimes it'll pffffthhhh then start right up when I either hit the button or kick it over. Thanks for looking and any help you can give.
af9bcbf24fddc225d1c6b5967ad5cca5.jpg

The 750 does have a lot of mechanical noise. You should check valves and adjust the cam chain anyway as part of periodic maintenance. With a new to you bike I would run through and do the complete tuneup as per the manual so you know where you stand as far as tune and engine condition. Its not a pressure release. Periodically when everything is perfect...when you have a little fuel vapor in a cylinder and when you turn the key of the electronic ignition will send a spark if it is right at the fire point and you will get a little bit of ignition. Guessing it has a dyna ignition. Mine do it every once in a while. Not exactly sure what you mean by a normal temp range? Its an air cooled engine so running temp has a lot to do with outdoor temp. Its not a harley so dont sit in traffic for long periods of time, they are meant to be moving not sitting, have to have air flow to keep the thing cool. I see it has an oil cooler which is a good thing and greatly helps to keep engine temps down but they are meant to run down the road.

Thanks for the reply. They are dyna coils. I just got the service manual and will check all specs. It runs great, rides great, and starts right up every time. I am slightly worried about a wet gas smelling plug on the far left cylinder. (If sitting on the bike. Not sure if that's 1 or 4 yet sorry) It seems to be running on all cylinders. I pulled the inspection caps for the valve adjustment and it looks to be getting oil just fine. As for the temp I meant what was a normal running temp for them in summer weather. Just so I can get a grasp if its running hot.

Back