• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1980 CB750 cost to convert to cafe??

CM750

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

i'm about to purchase my first CB750 and i have definite goals to create the cafe of my dreams (over some time). as purchased the bike is OEM parts so i need to change the seat and handlebars first to begin the look and feel. any idea how much $$ i should be setting aside or lowering my purchase price to accommodate these initial changes? any input is appreciated as i'm looking to purchase this week, thanks.

Its a really hard question to answer. Depends on what seat and what kind of bars you want. There are different types, brands and quality available. Clip-on bars or bars for the original top clamp? It all kind of depends on the quality and how good you are at shopping around as too how much you will spend.

thanks dirtdigger. what should i be staying away from i suppose would be my next question. i don't want to go all out crazy but i don't want to buy and install some bottom of the line parts either. i'm clear on what type and style of seat i want but i'm finding infinite handlebars out there.

ok, another thing is the seat on the 1980 is set up like a cruiser and the (i don't even know what you call it) frame or bar underneath the seat isn't straight like i see on other cafe style 750's. is this a problem for converting?

Its a really hard question to answer. Depends on what seat and what kind of bars you want. There are different types, brands and quality available. Clip-on bars or bars for the original top clamp? It all kind of depends on the quality and how good you are at shopping around as too how much you will spend.

+1 on dirtdigger's comments. I've seen bargain basement cages with simple clubman bars, aftermarket pipes, and homemade cafe style seats done on the cheap. Unfortunately they look like what was spent on them. As DD pointed out if you are crafty, and a bargain hunter you can find or fab your way to a cool ride for reasonable money.
My advice is take your time and hunt for parts at swap meets and on classifieds, if you see a cool part you like on a guys ride ask where he got it. Carpy in Orange CA has a great site with really cool stuff for 750s, he's a straight up guy and his prices are good, great quality parts. Another tip, get the bike running like a top, good compression all around, synch the carbs, get the suspension dialed and then start adding the "cafe" parts, then the bike will be something you want to ride!

Yeah the seat rails on that frame aren't the best for the cafe look. You'll either have to work around it with a custom seat or rework the seat rails. Do you have a welder?

thanks everyone, i appreciate the input. travis, no, i don't have a welder but a good friend does who works on 1980 and older hondas so i'll talk with him.

Well that would take care of the seat rail problem if you're willing to chop the frame a little. (and have a way to bend the tube) :)

This is what I did. May be too late by the thread date but who knows. IMG_20150128_174548.jpg I built new shock mount gussets and gave it that flat profile look. I used original shock mounts but hacked them out and re-used them... Location dropped to below the tube.

thanks everyone, i appreciate the input. travis, no, i don't have a welder but a good friend does who works on 1980 and older hondas so i'll talk with him.

One thing to keep in mind is the geometry of your shocks relative to your swing arm.

Take a look at your stock shocks and the relationship to the swing arm. Especially if you plan on lowering the bike.

Blackies looks good but I bet it was a lot of work. It might be easier to round out the rear end of the frame with a few 90 degree bends to accommodate for your rear cowling and then building a custom seat pan to account for the lowest point behind the tank. Also it depends on your tank choice.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434042049.718925.jpg

I recommend drawing it out if you aren't comfortable enough welding that you are willing to make mistakes.

Back