• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Starting First Project

Zippy5150

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, new user here. Just picked up a 1978 CB750 Super Sport from a CraigsList deal today. This is my first time working on a bike so I'm really excited and sure to have a ton of questions I hope you guys can help me with! Here's a couple of pics in its current state, gonna start teardown tomorrow.

21ee6527-1f89-46c8-8f63-9d9874f9595c.jpgIMG_3467.jpg

Luck, I myself would have been getting quite a bit more than that, half of it is gone. The other half is kinda substandard as well, you're gonna need some skills there.

Well nearly half of it is in that box with the yellow lid and I did get quite a deal on it. Its mostly there actually... only things missing are the seat and turn signals which I would have ended up replacing anyway.

Are you implying that we absolutely must praise somebody as a wunderkind because he buys a dead totally rusted out bike? Your first timeliness is certainly showing...................whatever indeed. You're gonna need far more help than you think with a response like that.................the questioning part was OK but then you end it with the smart-ss colloquialism 'whatever', and not conducive to yourself at all. AFTER I tried to let you down easy I note; then you DISMISS me with that. Thank you.

Another one that wants smoke blown up his -ss. Like there's not 7 billion others out there like that.

Hey, mollycoddling of grownup people is why things are in the state they are today in this country. You could stand a dose of reality, and that bike will bring a fair share of it.

Again, luck.............like I said, skills needed.

It can be done, but the condition of the bike you are starting with will require quite a bit of intestinal fortitude. The F bikes have a few peculiarities when compared to the K bikes, especially if you tear into the top end. Get the manuals and take lots of pictures as you tear it down. Starting with a partially disassembled bike without knowing whether the loose parts you have are even proper adds yet another layer of complexity. Work slowly and methodically, keep your workspace organized, bag and tag everything, ask lots of questions, and remember that it is difficult to impart inflection in typewritten responses.

Carry on!

Well its a fucking forum where people help each other. I wasnt looking for praise. I never said I want 'praise' I wanted advice or at least a welcome into the community. Dont reply to my threads again. Thanks.

You are welcome here. I know it is tough conveying feelings and such on a computer and sometimes what a person writes doesn't come out how the person intends it too. So I hope everyone will take comments a little lighter and dont jump too fast at being offended as it may just be the way it comes out on the screen. We all need to realize that we all had to start somewhere in learning about bikes and we all learn lessons from bad purchases so no reason to belittle or talk down to someone because they dont know much about bikes. We are hear for information and to help each other enjoy our bikes and the road it took to get there.

I typed a response that probably would have made this worse, and have deleted it.

Beyond that, I personally do NOT recognize the etiquette that says an OP controls all that goes on in a thread, he can deal with things he does not like just like others as it is a free country and others can say what they will. That 'etiquette' is more of the pandering to a one sided personal viewpoint that creates problems like this. If an OP cannot take the other side of things then he needs to get off the net.

Past that I apologize to all I have offput but I tend to sometimes do that. Be warned.

Welcome to the site Zippy5150. You do have a hell of a project there! Any progress? Is the motor free? Have you tore into those carbs yet? You say first time working on a bike, but I'm assuming you must plenty of wrenching time on other things?

Back