• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

CB750K vs. KZ550

carwash

CB750 Member
Reaction score
So here's my current situation.
My current ride is an '80 Kawasaki KZ550. Wonderful bike. I'm in Brooklyn, I've got a great mechanic who has this bike running great. It's light, it's fast, it's super torquey. These bikes have a fairly steep rake angle, it corners and handles beautifully. In '81 this bike became the GPZ550, godfather of the modern, mid-weight/size super bike.

A few years ago my father passed away and I inherited his '80 CB750F. He bought the bike new and maintained it meticulously. I was 9 years old and with him the day he bought it. It's been sitting for 2 years now, and I don't think he drove it much the last couple years before he passed. So I'd say it's been close to 5 years since it was driven with any regularity.

I've never driven the bike when it's been tuned up to it's full potential. We got it running last summer, barely, very sluggish, of course it needs a full tune up, carbs probably cleaned and synced, etc...

Living in Brooklyn, with limited space, I can't have more than one bike. I keep thinking about that 750, and think to myself, if I'm going to have only one 1980 UJM doesn't it make sense to have the CB750, if for no other reason, the sentimentality?

So my question is this...performance wise, what differences am I going to see between these two bikes? I know the 750 has considerable more horsepower, but it's also significantly heavier, as well as just physically larger (two things I'm not crazy about at all). I'm sure it's the better bike at highway speeds, but for the around-town stuff, is it going to be less spunky than the KZ550? I'm rarely on the highway, I'm all about the 0-45 mph acceleration and handling.
The 750 is in Minneapolis, so in addition to getting it tuned up and running 100%, I'd also have to have it shipped here. So it's not really realistic financially to do just to compare the two.
I know this forum is obviously going to be partial to the Honda, but if anyone has any experience with both bikes, I'd love to get a fairly objective opinion on comparing the two.

Like I said, I really love my KZ550 and would hate to give up all the performance I get from it, but if I got all that and maybe even more from the 750, well...
that'd be tempting.

here are some pics, because we all love pics!
thanks!
(before someone calls out that the 750 isn't an '80, it is, he dropped it the first year he had it and had it repainted and decaled with the next years colors)
IMG_0382_zpsgxtsens0.jpg

IMG_3693_zpslkax7cq8.jpg

IMG_3695_zpsxtsg7xby.jpg

It's an '80 by the disc brakes. With a header, another 10% hp. Added to 75, the 550 maybe had 55, stretching to 60 with GPz. Up to you to determine the difference, the F will outrun the crap out of it but carbs will be clogged from the sitting. Looks like a nice Corbin seat on it too.

Man I'd take the F any day and I love Kaw 550s.

It's an '80 by the disc brakes. With a header, another 10% hp. Added to 75, the 550 maybe had 55, stretching to 60 with GPz. Up to you to determine the difference, the F will outrun the crap out of it but carbs will be clogged from the sitting. Looks like a nice Corbin seat on it too.

Man I'd take the F any day and I love Kaw 550s.

Yeah, both the Corbin seat and the Mac header were put on fairly late, and both only out of necessity, the original seat tore up and the original exhaust rusted out.
What about the weight of the bike? Sure the 750 will be more powerful, but is that extra weight going to be a drag around town? Also, I have to push it up and off the street to my front stop, etc... Brooklyn isn't the most ideal place for a heavy bike.

My 79 CB750 was my around town/ daily rider bike. As amc49 said will out run the 550, even off the line and will have all you need when you make it to the highway. I always thought the 550 was great little bike too, but i always find myself drawn toward the CB. The CB is not that much heavier than the 550 so should'nt be problem pushing it.

Faster off the line eh? Good to know, that'd be great. It's about 70+ lbs heavier, best I can tell from online spec. sheets.
I'm going to be in Minneapolis in a couple weeks, I'm going to take a good, hard long look at the bike again, roll it around, hopefully drive it a bit, then make a decision from there.
My 79 CB750 was my around town/ daily rider bike. As amc49 said will out run the 550, even off the line and will have all you need when you make it to the highway. I always thought the 550 was great little bike too, but i always find myself drawn toward the CB. The CB is not that much heavier than the 550 so should'nt be problem pushing it.

That 750 is a nice bike... I'd take that any day ... Let me know if you decide to part with it, I have room for another...

Faster off the line eh? Good to know, that'd be great. It's about 70+ lbs heavier, best I can tell from online spec. sheets.
I'm going to be in Minneapolis in a couple weeks, I'm going to take a good, hard long look at the bike again, roll it around, hopefully drive it a bit, then make a decision from there.

70lb more compared to the 20 HP increase, HP to weight ratio is much better with the 750.:thumbsup:

So everyone is going with the 750, I kinda expected that. The weight issue is really my biggest issue. 70lbs is actually conservative, revisiting some numbers in some cases it's suggested the bike is almost 100lbs heavier.
To play devil's advocate a bit... these are both 1980 bikes. In what circumstance and for what rider, was the 550 the wiser bike to choose? Again, if this 750 didn't show up I wouldn't be looking for a new bike, because I have zero issues with my Kz550.

thanks for all the input!

In 1980 the 400cc and 550's was considered an entry level to intermediate machine, best suited for younger less expreinced riders and for shorter commutes and rides. The 750cc and 1000's were full size top of the line bikes designed for the exprienced rider and longer rides and touring ability. By todays standards the 600 and 750's are the entry level to intermidiate machines.

In my view there haven't been entry level bikes available in a long while. The normal 600 made now will kill a person of less than common sense so fast it's done before thought about, and literally how it happens. That 550 could do it back then in the hands of a stupid person, and many entry levelers are often not quite all there brain wise. Their expectations are, well, unrealistic. I hear stories all the time now of 30 year olds who drive a bike a very short time (a day, a week) and then the first mistake they make to take skin off and bike is sold. Not big ones either. I personally knew one young idiot, and he stayed that way when he jetted out of a parking lot on a GS550 thinking he was Mister Pocket Rocket and mailed himself into the side of a car and killed instantly. Said just before launching he had been riding for years......

Dunno what this is about.......

'Also, I have to push it up and off the street to my front stop, etc...'

...but I'd drive even doing that, I push nothing. Yeah, a bit more to manhandle, but if one can't I gotta question being in the physical shape really needed to drive a bike anyway, there are just certain things that have to be done but beyond that could easily be having to kick bike back up when it tries to throw down if you get out of shape like tire suddenly flatting. You won't be successful in all of those but being in some kind of shape will definitely help as I have been there way too many times and just that saved me from eating pavement.

If having to jump say a curb the header may well be a problem.

The 550 is much lighter, I'd call it a solid 75 lbs. The 750 let's not forget in that incarnation was also intended to be a 900 and 1100 bike, the mass is there for it.

I drove many years on middleweights yet never looked back when I went up to the what at the time to me was a massive 750. I tiddled it down a long narrow (24 inches wide?) concrete walk between two buildings for many years, at one point the handlebars had to be wobbled and bike leaned to get through. Guess it's all in how one looks at it.

I think "entry level" or "starter bike" today are bogus terms and used in too much of an egotistical way... everyone thinks bigger is better and they just have one macho mindset... Their wives and girlfriends ride 750s... lol... an older classic CB or 750 four is far more bike than a Shadow of today... not even in the same class...

In my view there haven't been entry level bikes available in a long while. The normal 600 made now will kill a person of less than common sense so fast it's done before thought about, and literally how it happens. That 550 could do it back then in the hands of a stupid person, and many entry levelers are often not quite all there brain wise. Their expectations are, well, unrealistic. I hear stories all the time now of 30 year olds who drive a bike a very short time (a day, a week) and then the first mistake they make to take skin off and bike is sold. Not big ones either. I personally knew one young idiot, and he stayed that way when he jetted out of a parking lot on a GS550 thinking he was Mister Pocket Rocket and mailed himself into the side of a car and killed instantly. Said just before launching he had been riding for years......

Dunno what this is about.......

'Also, I have to push it up and off the street to my front stop, etc...'

...but I'd drive even doing that, I push nothing. Yeah, a bit more to manhandle, but if one can't I gotta question being in the physical shape really needed to drive a bike anyway, there are just certain things that have to be done but beyond that could easily be having to kick bike back up when it tries to throw down if you get out of shape like tire suddenly flatting. You won't be successful in all of those but being in some kind of shape will definitely help as I have been there way too many times and just that saved me from eating pavement.

If having to jump say a curb the header may well be a problem.

The 550 is much lighter, I'd call it a solid 75 lbs. The 750 let's not forget in that incarnation was also intended to be a 900 and 1100 bike, the mass is there for it.

I drove many years on middleweights yet never looked back when I went up to the what at the time to me was a massive 750. I tiddled it down a long narrow (24 inches wide?) concrete walk between two buildings for many years, at one point the handlebars had to be wobbled and bike leaned to get through. Guess it's all in how one looks at it.
Key word here is considered, by the manufactures and marketing. They tauted the smaller cc bikes as such, I personnaly think of entry level as a 125 to 250 cc bike. Any bike can get you killed if your stupid and ride above your ablity, or just not repecting the machine for what it can do. I've seen many young guys get seriously hurt or worse on 250 Ninja's. And yea todays 600 sport bikes are fast, my daily rider is a YZF600R my old CB750 could'nt come close to what that bike will do.

Yeah todays 600's make more power and weight less then the 750's of old. To put it in perspective my 03 CBR954 wieghs around 400 lbs, which is less the the 550 and makes three ties the horse power. Its fast and light, technology is wonderful but doesnt have the soul of the old bikes. Ride what you are comfortable with, you came to a honda board asking what bike you should keep, of course we are going for the honda, but you seem to like your kaw and think its the best bike for your situation. No need to force yourself into a bike you dont really want by the sound of it.

Yeah, don't listen to us, do what you will. The 550 IS more manageable in terms of physicality alone.

X2 to this..............

'I personnaly think of entry level as a 125 to 250 cc bike.'

An entry level person is by nature of the description one who the first time will wick up the throttle and then find out milliseconds too late that he has messed up bigtime.

Freakin' 600s now make 100 hp., that's the equivalent of learning to drive a 2X4 bbl. Chrysler 426 inch 4 speed car. BTDT at 16 and it was not pretty.

OP, You already know the answer.

If it makes it easier to actually take the action just simplify it, remove all the other variables. If you had all the money, spaces, and resources to keep both bikes, which would you ride more often?

As for the other topic that grew out of this thread..... Entry level is an off road bike. It's what I learned in the dirt that has kept me alive on the street these past 30 years.

On the street, I've laid it down, bailed out, been turned in front of, been run off the road (I mean freeway in SoCal @ 60+) and, I even got pushed between the axles of a bottom dump trailer by a van while going down freeway once (no shit, I had to duck down, probably the scariest thing that has ever happened to me on a bike, pretty sure I left fist marks in the side of the van) but I have never not been able to get up and walk away.

If not for my dirt bike experience I might have thought a moment, instead of automatically reacting, and got injured or worse on more then one occasion.

Thanks everyone,
I would say I'm leaning toward keeping the 550, however, I think because the 750 isn't sitting in front of me, in my mind it has grown larger and larger. I do have a trip confirmed to Minneapolis in a couple weeks, so I'll have a chance to have another/final look at the bike. I have a feeling it's not going to be as large as I thought.

Either decision, it's pretty much a win-win, both great bikes.

X2.

'I even got pushed between the axles of a bottom dump trailer by a van...'

Man, that wins hairiest balls hands down, and I've been down plenty of times. I too learned on the dirt..........you got no time to think, just react. Later I couldn't believe I pulled it off.

When dragging my '80 CB750F back in the day, on a good launch the tire never stopped spinning until just into through 3rd, front wheel would just lift 6 inches 1 to 2 while hazing the tire leaving at around 9500 rpm. 12.50s-12.70s all day long. My best friend had just bought a KZ650 that summer and his loaning it to me made me bite the bullet there. Bigger, the next one had to be bigger. 13.50s on the Kaw 400-3 no longer looked as good as they did before after putting that 650 down the strip at 13.20s or so. I put a Kerker on it for him and jetted it out and it even ran better then, just an all around great bike that ran and ran and ran. I can just imagine how well KZ750s ran.

Man, that wins hairiest balls hands down, and I've been down plenty of times...

Luckily the van was on my left so I had a free hand to bang on it while matching the trucks speed. I had to pull over and take a few minutes to unwind after that one.

Back