• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1978 CB 750 F Questions and starting a build

gatorforge

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I'm new here, and this is actually my first street bike. I grew up riding and repairing dirt bikes, but never got around to riding on asphalt. A friend of mine recently moved and gave me a frame and a room full of boxes that contain about 90% of the parts to a 1978 CB 750 F.

Vc0ksFgl.jpg

I'm just getting started going through the boxes and laying out parts, and I'm realizing that while almost all of the major components are there, there are quite a few bolts, nuts, and washers missing. Is there a good resource for these parts? Or for that matter finding out what the thread size is for the screws I need?

I've started doing research to learn all that I can about the bike to help with the rebuild. I found something interesting in reading, largely related to the model of the bike. All records I have found point to the 1978 CB750 F bikes being F3's with serial numbers in the 3000000. Mine is a 2000000 serial number, which doesn't seem to match up with the conventional wisdom on dates and vins. Any ideas?

tJAtwhYl.jpg

Any Information or advice is welcome, I'm sure I'll have more questions to come.

Thanks

its a very early 78 F model bike. 78 F's frame number started at 2200001. As far as bolts, if you want originals look on ebay, people go crazy with parting out bikes and a lot of times you can find were they sell a "lot" of misc bolts. If you dont care about originality then just go to local hardware store or fastener company and get what you need. There are only a couple of sizes used on these bikes, i would suggest getting thread pitch gauge and bolt size gauge for metric if you are not familiar with metric bolt sizes. You really wont know what bolts you dont have until you start assembly.

First thing you need to get is several sheets of 3/4 finished plywood to cover those table tops and that floor. Might I recommend a lawyer too, if you are not single.

Cycle-X has a lot of dress up bolt kits and you can find many part suppliers like cb750 supply just by typing Honda cb750 parts into google. Don't overlook your local Honda Bike shop either as they usually still carry a lot of consumables for these older bikes.

CMS Is a favorite of mine, not for purchasing but for it's exploded views and OEM part number listings. You'll be surprised by the results of googling the actual part number. "Part# xxx-xx-xxxx"

and you can download a copy of my digital copy of a shop manual here https://mega.nz/#!oIJD1BoA
Key: !QdbWIhNewxnti_eSTcg7sV9tp2k0GLXyoXFVwyu4pgM

Hi guys, thanks for all the great information. Dave, the parts aren't there anymore, they're down in the basement, thats just where they got dropped off, the furniture and floor survived in one piece.

Back