• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

removed alternator cover without disconnecting battery...

motobecaneav10

CB750 Member
Reaction score
hi,
stupid thing... my alternator cover has a hole worn in it and i bought a replacement that arrived yesterday, i removed the cover, without disconnecting the battery, not thinking the coil would be attached to the cover. it didnt arc, or smoke, or even catch fire... rode it for an hour today then the battery died at a light and wouldnt start, needed a jump to get the few blocks home. once i got home, i busted out my trusty voltmeter, it read 11.4 while the bike was off and not much higher running/revving. the special, non conductive gasket broke during removal and i replaced it with a hand cut, paper one. what do i need to replace?
thanks

Last edited:
i checked all fuses, no issues there. Im thinking I probably fried the rectifier or maybe hurt the coil, could it be that the paper gasket is causing the issue?

WHY a hole in cover? If impact then common to break alt doing that.

There is nothing whatsoever 'special non-conductive' about the gasket, you don't even have to have one there at all.

The rotor on these breaks way more than most other parts do, provided we are talking a DOHC here.

the hole happened when i was almost hit by a car this past weekend and ended up going down. it is DOHC. my battery seems a little suspect so i was planning on going to get a new one tomorrow just to rule that out, worth it?

A very common way to break that alt..............they are flimsy when bike laid down on that side.

The rotors have to be perfect and easily go bad. You can check the ohms but even then some are bad while checking as good. Any cracking in the glue over windings can be trouble, it holds them dead in place and at rpm the windings vibrate against each other to short out. Can even be charging fine at lower rpm and then not at higher, like turning off a switch.

FYI, key being off has power cut off to alt, no problem there. Key being on when laid over of course could have done something.

Look at brushes under cover, the plastic holding plate can crack from the layover or brushes fracture themselves.

the plastic plate is cracked but the brushes themselves look ok. any good sources for parts relatively cheap? i think im going to swap the rotor, coil and brushes if i can find them.

Back