• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Friction disc grooves

Gabby

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a new set of discs to install (ex-UK) and see some differences to what I removed. The outer disc (B?) has the angled grooves and that is the same as my original and is what the manual shows. However the other six discs also have the angled grooves whereas the originals have the straight grooves that radiate out from the centre. They are the correct size, just different grooves.
I assume all plates should be installed with the grooves the same way as the outer disc - is that correct? Is this just one manufacturer's idea or is there some sort of improvement in this change?

I assume all plates should be installed with the grooves the same way as the outer disc - is that correct?

I would. Not that familiar with SOHC parts but on DOHC the B disc outer tabs are slightly bigger, a B won't fit deeper in the basket. Only on the outside position only.

The angle forms a simple slinger of sorts if you visualize what happens at speed there. The clutch parts including center release have to be lubed and the lube then can stack up inside the rotating assembly, the angle helps fling oil off the clutch interior to keep it only lightly oiled inside at speed. Clutch works better like that. If you think about it, flipping the angle around (even more if all are like that) would make the clutch retain more oil instead of reducing it.

Making the slots all the same may make discs a bit cheaper to make, only one basic friction material mold needed then. Assuming of course you weren't just sent a whole stack of disc Bs.

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, the other discs with changed grooves are the correct type (ie not B). It makes sense that the grooves go the same way for sure. Looks like it must be an improvement, or certainly no worse, as these guys have been selling them for a while with no apparent problems.

Back