• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Alternator ground wire 1976 cb 750 F question

cary911

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I have a little ground wire coming out of the alternator that I need to figure out where to ground it. The wire has a very small circular ground clip at the end but I don't know where on my bike that I have that small of a threaded stud. Any help would be appreciated.

>What color wire?
>Where is this wire originating from?
>Can you post a picture?
>How do you know it is a ground? Ground wires are typically green.
>Do you have a wiring diagram?

I'm guessing it goes to either the neutral safety switch or the oil pressure sender, but I would need more information.

I couldn't tell you without taking my bike apart but maybe someone else here can with this picture I found clearly showing the wire your talking about.

honda-cb750-four-k4-1974-usa-alternator_bighu0105e1310_0467.jpg

Let's see if this picture works.

Sorry, don't know why the picture has turned 90 degrees.
The wire is coated in a protective sleeve.

Attachments

• IMG_2263.JPG
    IMG_2263.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 261
That looks to be the neutral safety switch wire. Follow the wire to the other end of the protective sheath and see if you can tell what color the wire insulation is inside the sheath. The neutral safety switch wire would be green with a red stripe. This wire is typically routed between the front sprocket and the backside of the transmission cover, across the bottom of the engine to the neutral switch. From the factory there would also be a metal tab on one of the oil pan bolts to hold this wire as well. You'll need to remove the front sprocket cover to route this wire down to the underside of the engine.

That looks to be the neutral safety switch wire. Follow the wire to the other end of the protective sheath and see if you can tell what color the wire insulation is inside the sheath. The neutral safety switch wire would be green with a red stripe. This wire is typically routed between the front sprocket and the backside of the transmission cover, across the bottom of the engine to the neutral switch. From the factory there would also be a metal tab on one of the oil pan bolts to hold this wire as well. You'll need to remove the front sprocket cover to route this wire down to the underside of the engine.

What he said.

nuet sw.JPG

Back