• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Rear axle nut mm - 1980 f

Jdlong27

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone help me out with the rear axle castle nut size for a 1980 cb750f? I've looked at the FSM and all I see are torque specs. I've searched for two days on forums and Google. I've seen some references for 26mm and 27mm for varying years/models. I took my untrustworthy HF calipers to it about 9 times and the most accurate reading I seem to get is 24mm.

No one near me carries a 24, 26 or 27mm. I found 22, 25, 29 and 30. So I'm going to have to order something and would like to have a better percentage of getting it right. Any help appreciated.

(No original tools with it.)

Should be a 26mm.

You could buy Capture.JPG instead.

These Knipex Alligator pliers are amazing, they don't slip and you'll be covered for more then just one size.

Awesome! Thank you so much. Never seen those before. I felt 6 sided socket with a breaker bar may be best for these. Imagine it looks similar to some of the dive videos of the titanic remains at this point. Lol how well do those grip?

I tried to get the rear wheel off my cb750sc 1983 , nut was 24mm. took the exhaust silencers off and chain tentioners then got stuck.Big hammer on the axil nut on the end of the axil and for love nor money couldn't get the axil bolt to slide out even a tiny wee bit. Any advice? PS a local garage fitted rear tyre 2 years ago.

I tried to get the rear wheel off my cb750sc 1983 , nut was 24mm. took the exhaust silencers off and chain tentioners then got stuck.Big hammer on the axil nut on the end of the axil and for love nor money couldn't get the axil bolt to slide out even a tiny wee bit. Any advice? PS a local garage fitted rear tyre 2 years ago.

Remove the entire wheel assembly and have the axle pressed out. Chances are something is corroded together and hammering on it may eventually cause damage to the hub as it's a softer material.

If you loosen the drive chain adjusters enough they should drop down so you can remove the stoppers, this allows the entire wheel assembly to slip out the back.

FYI, the OUTSIDE size of a nut in no way determines what the inside thread may be.

In reference to post #1, thinking he is going to buy a nut based on the outside size. Car axle nuts commonly found are often different thread inside.

Back