• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Spark unit replacement

Terrorshark

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Both spark units on my bike are fried. Catching fire all that fun stuff.
Is there a replacement for these units? I don't want to buy new spark units and was hoping there would be a modern replacement?

LITERALLY catching fire???

If only melting the potting compound out to drip on things probably nothing wrong with them. Common on the early ones, they changed the compound as it was too temperature sensitive. If that only they are fine.

Now if you have modded say to switch coils you may have burned them up................there is a popular GM car coil mod that can do that.

Yes, there is a replacement part.

http://www.procomeng.com/estore/featured-products/pe-c-mh900-a.html

Definitely literally catching fire.
Potting is completely gone.
my question is more...
Worth it to spend the 70 bucks on new ones
Or is there another option to replace both units entirely

Have you done anything to bring it on?, not normal unless screwing around with coils, and doing that incorrectly will simply fry the new ones. The coils using those have to be 3 ohm resistance, if lower say bye-bye ignitors. The main power switching transistor won't handle more power.

You're asking if worth $70 for a pair??? Go price the OEM ones. $200 APIECE. Worth it? If you have turned bike into a lump just sitting there............well, that decision is on you. People DO say the new ones work better but if the system has been altered like said you can give that up. There is a complete GM HEI module mod but you will be building mounts and heatsinks and rewiring the entire ignition. The end result is by no means cheaper.

I am well aware that not replacing the units would leave the bike unrunning and useless.
Everything on the bike is stock and from what I have read, these units are prone to failure.
My question which was half answered. Was whether there was a single unit or aftermarket cdi that would work with this bike. Something by ricks Motorsport or another company that would replace both the current spark units.
Something like switching from points over to electronic ignition.
Or from electronic ignition to a power dynamo.
My reference to asking if it's worth it to pay the 70 dollars per unit was more along the lines of...
Is it worth it to pay 140 dollars for 2 units that are prone to failure or is there a better option.

It's a waste spark system, the parts generally come in pairs on those by virtue of how they work, it's much cheaper that way. Once you demand a single unit you are requiring a computer of some sort to sort out which cylinders are which, and quadrupling your cost doing it. You're talking complete rewiring there.

Last edited:
You need to go back and look at that link again, there is no $140, they clearly say a SET and TWO for $70.

Back