• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

oil tank replacement

jimminy

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 78 SOHC and I'm considering all the various things I might do to cafe it out.

One is to replace the 78 oil tank with an older version like you would find on 76 and earlier models. Looks better and I don't like having to remove that plastic cover to check the oil. Been trying to tell from pictures what the differences are, but hard to tell.

Anyone know how difficult it is, or if it's really possible without major mods?

Might just get rid of the cover altogether if it's too much trouble.

Thanks.

I cant say for sure if they fit. One option would be to buy an older tank off ebay, you can get them for all of $20. I would guess the oil hoses would be different also. I would be interesting in finding out if it would fit. I have built my own oil tanks so having one built would be a more expensive option.

That's what I was afraid of. Guess I'll either live with it as-is or get rid of the cover and try to find a cap/dipstick that looks good exposed. Or, maybe someone knows where to find a modified cover that leaves the dipstick accessible?

I was looking around and see some that have an oil temp built into the cap. I assume the ones I see are for a different model, but is that a good place to be taking accurate oil temp readings?

Photo4.jpg
Photo3.jpg
Photo2.jpg
Photo1.jpg

I don't know if these dimensions will help or not but you can find this style for dirt cheap on ebay and/or craigslist and my guess would be you could modify a bracket or two for a possible fit.

Ah! Thanks, that'll help a lot actually. It should be pretty easy from that to see how things line up with my '78 oil can.

Once I get into it I'll post up so others will know.

Thanks again for going to the trouble.

Back