• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Brake upgrade on a 1980 CB750c

BOYD

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I have recently bough a 1980 CB750C. It has been sitting out in the elements for awhile. My calipers on both wheels are locked. I would like to upgrade from OEM. Is there a good website to find aftermarket parts specifically for your bike other than the websites that claim universal parts but really only carry the nuts and bolts? Does anyone have a suggestion on a new compatible brake system?

Once you move away from OEM you are pretty much announcing to the world you are smart enough to work all that out yourself...............there will be no one entire 'system' pretty much for that fork as it is not a hi-perf one.

You could always try switching to the later OEM twin piston calipers used on '81 and later but may have to change lower fork legs to do so. I can't say.

Dunno what you think you are 'upgrading', I used those single piston calipers with a good set of race pads and could do stoppies at 65 mph if I wanted too.

Once you move away from OEM you are pretty much announcing to the world you are smart enough to work all that out yourself...............there will be no one entire 'system' pretty much for that fork as it is not a hi-perf one.

You could always try switching to the later OEM twin piston calipers used on '81 and later but may have to change lower fork legs to do so. I can't say.

Dunno what you think you are 'upgrading', I used those single piston calipers with a good set of race pads and could do stoppies at 65 mph if I wanted too.

I should have been more specific, Basically the original caliper unserviceable and I have looked high and low for an OEM to replace it. So my question is if I cant find one, did anyone have any suggestions for a replacement?

You WILL find a replacement, they sell them on ebay all day long and that one is common. You won't find the part brand new most likely except possibly from overseas.

You mean both calipers on sides of FRONT wheel are locked, CB750C has a drum rear brake for OEM. Unless that is locked too.

CMS has 1 single front caliper and 2 B calipers for dual disk, no A caliper for dual disk for the 1980 CB750 Custom. They show nothing for the 1980 CB750F. They are insanely expensive and are located in the Netherlands.

It's pretty hard to make Calipers "unserviceable". Unless they are split open from freezing water, I'd suggest you rethink rebuilding them.

I did look on that site and yes they are super expensive. I will continue to look, thanks for the suggestions

Other than external appearance he's right, pretty hard to make calipers 'unserviceable', the only thing that really matters is the caliper o-ring groove itself and even some fixes for that. Could be an issue with the dust seals not having solid material to mount into. The caliper bore itself can be riddled with holes and still work fine.

FYI, like what he seemed to be saying '80 F and C calipers are the same on twin disc ones.

Last edited:
Back