• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

79 CB750K First Build Questions

monkeynando

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hello everyone !

I'm new to the forum, and new to the CB750. My dad owned a few CB's of varying size when I was a kid, and I've always wanted to build one. I was looking for an SOHC, but came across a barn-find dohc deal that I couldn't say no to. Got the bike complete but non running, I rebuilt the carbs and got the engine going with decent compression in cylinders 1,2 and 4, and low compression in cylinder 3 which I will diagnose further. There is some valve noise which may be related.

I'm not quite sure how to describe the type of build I'm doing; its something along the lines of eliminating as much weight as possible, with a scrambler aesthetic. Quick background about myself - I'm a mechanical designer by trade, and have access to equipment and vendors that can fab just about anything; however I am trying to keep the build as cost effective as possible by doing everything myself.

The bike is completely stripped down, engine removed. I have been working on cutting and grinding everything unnecessary from the frame, and have removed passenger peg mounts (and stock rear brake pivot point) - which brings me to my question.

My question to those that have the experience and know their way around this frame, is regarding the rear end. I would like to get rid of the stock drum brake, and possibly the swingarm as well; so as to have better choices with tires etc. I want to retain rear suspension however, monoshock is out of the question.

My first few searches shows that a cbr600f2 swingarm would bolt up. What would you guys suggest as a good/efficient solution for a swingarm/rear-end swap ?

I would like to retain stock swingarm mount points/dimensions on the frame. Any and all input much appreciated !

Back