• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

clutch spring question

leozava

CB750 New member
Reaction score
hey guys, my clutch was not engaging so I opened it up to see what was going on and found that all 4 clutch plate bolts were only in 2-3 threads. what could have caused that?? also, when I measured my clutch springs they were all between 39.8 and 40.2mm long?? I cant find anywhere that says they are supposed to be that long?? the bike is a 77 with engine number cb750e-2721 help please

Obviously... someone installed longer springs and did not tighten the bolts all the way down...
They should not be longer than 31.94mm

this is a real good topic! But the real problem on 750 clutches are heat and operating in hot climates really take a lot out of these clutches. And what the main problem is the springs happen to loose their tension and begin to loose tension at different levels of weakness, meaning they are of different values tending to not retract even. So what I am in the process of doing later in the summer is install stiffer springs with EBC high performance clutch plates. Sometimes the metal plates will warp so make sure the are flat by laying them down on a glass window pain and checking warp clearances. The stiffer springs will also quiet down the clutch clatter that these motorcycles are famous for. It is always helpful sharing the experiences that we have had to make other people have a better day!

Thanks
Steve Colville

Back