• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Wanted - a 70s Honda CB750, CB450, or CB550

fendersrule

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I'm in desperate need of a Honda CB750 (or possible even a 550 or a 450). I just received my endorsement, and they are by far, the coolest bikes out there. I even like the look of a CB twin.

I've been in plenty of negotiations for people wanting about $2000 for their CB750s, with them also needing new exhaust and some parts such as blinkers, switches. This pricing just doesn't seem right.

Anyhow, I'm here in Boise, ID.

Last edited:
fendersrule, I'm assuming you're looking for something local? Have you been checking your local Craigslist multiple times per day? The good ones pop up and are gone quickly. Good luck with your search!

The risk is receiving it and be disappointed by the condition or how it runs. Save the $500 for shipping and put that toward a good bike in your area. Why waste that on shipping when it could go to a bike in better condition? With any motorcycle purchase, especially when it's more than a few years old, you'll want to see it person and ride it before buying it. Unless it was something really rare, I wouldn't buy a bike on ebay that wasn't local that I could look at first. I say be patient and keep looking for something local. I'm sure something will pop up soon! I'd had some success with wanted ads on Craigslist too.

Allow me to fill you in on the events of the past 3 weeks.

I've have a wanted ad up, and it's been there for more than a week. Two emails came back, both wanting to sell CB750 Hondamatics. My father in WA has also been on the lookout in his state.

There was a 1981 CB750 directly in my area for $1200, which I haven't received any emails back on (no phone number listed). I'm also not crazy about the 1979-1981s anyways.

One guy in Salk Lake City (6 hours away) is selling his '78 CB750, but it needs new exhaust, blinkers, and possibly some other things (headlight works intermittently). He won't budge on $1850, and he doesn't have a history or knowledge of the engine rebuild condition and such. I informed him that the nut on his rear wheel tensioner bolt was missing, and he fixed it. Because of this, it makes me think there could be other things that need work on the bike. You would have $2500 into this bike total before it would be good.

One guy in Seattle has a cafe'd CB750, but it really needs a complete restoration to return it back into true form. I'm really tired of seeing all of these cafe'd bikes for sale. Almost all of them are just hack jobs and they are ruined (because they are not professionals), and they now need thousands into getting back to where the should be at. Anyhow, this guy wanted $1600, but it would cost $1500 to get the bike back, with a lot of work. You would have $3000 into this bike total before it would be good.

One guy in Connecticut is selling a '78 CB750 Supersport (a classic barn find) for $1600. This bike is in the best condition yet, only needing a new muffler (looks spectacular). But, he doesn't have a title (he's looking). I would easily pay $1600 + the shipping for this bike and just be done with it (and end up with a killer CB750). However, no emails for a week. This deal is as good as dead.

One guy in WA has a restored CB750, but he wants $4,000, and not a penny less. There's a '74 CB750 in Seattle, and he wants $3800. There's a '78 in Portland, and he wants $2500, and while it looks nice, there's not really a detailed description.

I've been using Craigslist (scanning the entire Northwest) every second of the day. I wish there were more I can do, because I have money in hand and just want a nice CB750. I also decked out my garage last weekend with tools from Sears. It seems that the eBay bike could be the next logical step, as long as it doesn't exceed $1700, because even with shipping, it's cheaper, if not the same than everything else I've been seeing in my area.

This all just gets mentally exhausting after awhile.

The risk is receiving it and be disappointed by the condition or how it runs. Save the $500 for shipping and put that toward a good bike in your area. Why waste that on shipping when it could go to a bike in better condition? With any motorcycle purchase, especially when it's more than a few years old, you'll want to see it person and ride it before buying it. Unless it was something really rare, I wouldn't buy a bike on ebay that wasn't local that I could look at first. I say be patient and keep looking for something local. I'm sure something will pop up soon! I'd had some success with wanted ads on Craigslist too.

Travis, you almost sound like your the one buying the bike and not him. If money has nothing to do with his confidence in buying the particular bike no matter where it is, why constantly tell him something that he is probably already doing. First choice would always be local and second would be surrounding areas third would be nationwide and the last option would be international. If he wants to go around the entire earth to find the bike of his dreams let him do so. Your opinion sounds unreliable IMO, "NO OFFENSE". Hate for you to kick me off the thread because I'm just as opinionated as you are. The motorcycle he wants may never pop up in his area. He said he is in desperate need.... I'm trying to help.

Fendersrule, here at our shop we restore, customize and rebuild the 1969-1978 Honda CB750 to your liking. We do big bore kits, maintenance, painting, powder coating, chroming and much more here. If you want to create a masterpiece or have one restored to it's original state it's all possible here at our shop. We have rolling chassis from 1969-1978 ready to be mocked up for a build. If you just want to buy one ready to ride, I suggest you continue your search as you already have. One thing is correct about buying a bike you want to make sure it's what you want. If it's what you want and isn't in running condition and doesn't need much work then that's still a good buy because there aren't many of these bikes around that are in original condition that just needs a little engine work. My suggestion is keep looking until you find something your happy with and if your truly desperate, demand videos of the bike running, someone riding it and at least 25 pictures to make sure your happy with what you see instead of traveling or having it shipped just to be disappointed. And from what I've read you have a number of great leads on the motorcycle that you so desperately aim to have. GOOD LUCK!!

I'm just trying to help. And he did ask "What's the risk?" and wanted opinions on the ebay bike. I didn't realize CB750s were so hard to come by in the north west.

Thanks guys for the replies.

I won the auction today. Now I have to figure out the cheapest (and safest) way to get it shipped here. Any advice? Getting ready to fork out $650 for that.

There are plenty of CB750s in the Northwest. A $1700 CB750 around here will definitely need new exhaust and is usually missing the front turn signals. It's probably missing a side cover or two, and missing other various parts. The tank is probably rattle canned. Many times the fork has been modified, or the seat is missing. At least 28k miles will be on it, too.

A $2200 CB750 will still need some work usually. The "restored" ones around here go from $4000-6500.

I figure winning the one on eBay for $1500 was a good move (around $2100 after shipping). It needs OEM front blinkers, an original side cover put back on to replace the Supersport's (which can probably sell for a few bucks, so no loss there), and eventually the seat redone. Wouldn't mind spraying it Freedom Green myself (I'm a semi professional painter, so it's an easy and cheap task). Oh, and a new horn, but I'd want to replace the stock horn anyways.

I've been trying to confirm some last things about the bike. Nowhere in the description did it say it could drive, or how it mechanically works. It just says it starts right up, idles and runs smooth. The seller seems to have good feedback, so I'm assuming the bike should definitely be ridable even as is. And it has the stock paint, which is cool. Seems clean. Notice the chain cover is still on it (which is rare to see a used bike have that) and it seems complete.

What do you guys think? Study 'dem picts and help build my confidence! :)

I think you have a great start to what should be a great restoration, looks like a solid foundation. That being said the description in the eBay listing was minimal at best lacking any mechanical specifics on routine maintenance, what parts have been replaced due to age.
No mention of compression numbers so first thing I would check would be engine compression, then go through the wiring soup to nuts to make sure it was functional. Then start working on all gaskets, seals and bearing inspection (front and rear wheels). Swing arm bushing inspection as they are known to wear, as well as front fork overhaul or at least new seals. Finally check rear suspension as they are notoriously undersized for the average American rider, Progressive, Ikon, and Halgon all make good aftermarket replacements that will provide good ride for the weight of the 750.
Also, if great importance is to check the carbs and air filters to make sure they are in good working order, a good cleaning and gasket replacement would be a good start.
@skiparachi, I agree with Travis And think your comments were a bit harsh. This guy is asking for help, this forum is setup for that purpose. Let's try and keep it positive, supportive, and keep the trashing of others on other sites!
@travis, keep up the great work and supportive comments!

I think you have a great start to what should be a great restoration, looks like a solid foundation. That being said the description in the eBay listing was minimal at best lacking any mechanical specifics on routine maintenance, what parts have been replaced due to age.
No mention of compression numbers so first thing I would check would be engine compression, then go through the wiring soup to nuts to make sure it was functional. Then start working on all gaskets, seals and bearing inspection (front and rear wheels). Swing arm bushing inspection as they are known to wear, as well as front fork overhaul or at least new seals. Finally check rear suspension as they are notoriously undersized for the average American rider, Progressive, Ikon, and Halgon all make good aftermarket replacements that will provide good ride for the weight of the 750.
Also, if great importance is to check the carbs and air filters to make sure they are in good working order, a good cleaning and gasket replacement would be a good start.
@skiparachi, I agree with Travis And think your comments were a bit harsh. This guy is asking for help, this forum is setup for that purpose. Let's try and keep it positive, supportive, and keep the trashing of others on other sites!
@travis, keep up the great work and supportive comments!

I wasn't trying to be harsh, I was being realistic and factual. Sometimes, the truth has a bit of a harsh reality. Not only that, I never disagreed with Travis's methods. I disagreed with not giving Fendersrule options in his pursuit to find the desired item he was searching for. Searching locally "ONLY" is not always a in the best interest of the consumer. I am positive and supportive as I can be. Having options is a great tool to get what you need in a timely manner and causes less stress in the future. Secondly, I didn't trash him...... I gave his same advice and more options to work with to help Fendersrules with his endeavors.

Thanks guys for the replies.

I won the auction today. Now I have to figure out the cheapest (and safest) way to get it shipped here. Any advice? Getting ready to fork out $650 for that.

There are plenty of CB750s in the Northwest. A $1700 CB750 around here will definitely need new exhaust and is usually missing the front turn signals. It's probably missing a side cover or two, and missing other various parts. The tank is probably rattle canned. Many times the fork has been modified, or the seat is missing. At least 28k miles will be on it, too.

A $2200 CB750 will still need some work usually. The "restored" ones around here go from $4000-6500.

I figure winning the one on eBay for $1500 was a good move (around $2100 after shipping). It needs OEM front blinkers, an original side cover put back on to replace the Supersport's (which can probably sell for a few bucks, so no loss there), and eventually the seat redone. Wouldn't mind spraying it Freedom Green myself (I'm a semi professional painter, so it's an easy and cheap task). Oh, and a new horn, but I'd want to replace the stock horn anyways.

I've been trying to confirm some last things about the bike. Nowhere in the description did it say it could drive, or how it mechanically works. It just says it starts right up, idles and runs smooth. The seller seems to have good feedback, so I'm assuming the bike should definitely be ridable even as is. And it has the stock paint, which is cool. Seems clean. Notice the chain cover is still on it (which is rare to see a used bike have that) and it seems complete.

What do you guys think? Study 'dem picts and help build my confidence! :)

The bike looks great IMO.... Doesn't look like it needs a lot of anything. It looks like the bike was garage kept and has a lot of original parts on it except a few parts. Any engine issues would be a piece of cake to handle with the proper knowledge and tools. You have found a great bike for a dirt cheap price. The 1969-1978 SOHC Honda CB750s are ranked #3 for the greatest motorcycles ever built and has a lot of history behind the bike. Which IMO the bike is worth a lot more, especially across seas. Here's a cool video for you to see and it'll help you adore you new found prize possession a little more every time you think about it. ENJOY!!!

I wasn't trying to be harsh, I was being realistic and factual. Sometimes, the truth has a bit of a harsh reality. Not only that, I never disagreed with Travis's methods. I disagreed with not giving Fendersrule options in his pursuit to find the desired item he was searching for. Searching locally "ONLY" is not always a in the best interest of the consumer. I am positive and supportive as I can be. Having options is a great tool to get what you need in a timely manner and causes less stress in the future. Secondly, I didn't trash him...... I gave his same advice and more options to work with to help Fendersrules with his endeavors.
So I guess telling Travis his opinion and comments were "unreliable" would not be considered trashing or offensive but in fact "realistic and factual". Funny how interpretation works!
Opinion is not always the ", whenever anyone brings up that argument to support their opinions I remember a saying my Grandad had, "opinions are like buttholes, we all have them and most of the to times they stink"!:devil:

So I guess telling Travis his opinion and comments were "unreliable" would not be considered trashing or offensive but in fact "realistic and factual". Funny how interpretation works!
Opinion is not always the ", whenever anyone brings up that argument to support their opinions I remember a saying my Grandad had, "opinions are like buttholes, we all have them and most of the to times they stink"!:devil:

Skiopal.....Opinions goes so far and so does interpretation...... "LOCALLY" isn't always reliable is what I was saying. Anyway we've all done our part to help out Fendersrule in his purchase which wasn't a "LOCAL" purchase so, it's a good deal either way. HE GOT WHAT "HE" WANTED.

Fendersrule..... I got a cool link for you to check that will let you know you've made an awesome purchase. CHECK IT OUT...... http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/features/122_1209_motorcycle_of_the_century_1969_honda_cb750/viewall.html

ENJOY YOUR NEW BIKE!!

Fendersrule, congrats on the purchase! I'm glad you chose the 750 instead of one of smaller bikes. Keep us updated on how the restoration goes. :thumbsup:

I was going to say something about "Your opinion sounds unreliable IMO" before, but decided not to. I guess I might as well now since it's been discussed. That doesn't really even make sense to me. In your opinion, my opinion sounds unreliable? How does that relate to me suggesting he look locally? That's an unreliable sounding opinion? In my opinion, your opinion about my opinion sounding unreliable sounds unreliable. :laugh:

Anyway, go back and read my comment and you'll see that I answered fendersrule's question about the risks of buying that bike on ebay, and gave my opinion that he should look locally to save money. At the time we didn't know that he'd already done a good job of searching for bikes in his area that were suitable and found none, since he didn't answer my questions in post 3 about looking locally or if he'd tried craigslist. I was just trying to help him find a good bike for the best price. You don't start on ebay to find deals on motorcycles (in my opinion). I'm not sure why any comments were even made about me giving my opinion that he should try to buy locally to save money and have the ability to look over and test ride the bike. It was my opinion/suggestion (which I'm sure plenty of people agree with) and if anyone doesn't like it, move on. :bike:

<ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh>

A nice sign of relief. Called the seller, and mentioned that no where in the description that it says how the bike drives. The seller sounded like he has multiple CB750s, and has sold quite a few. He said aside from it taking a little time to warm up, it drives very smooth and nothing to be concerned about in that regard. Brakes just fine. Nothing to worry about. He said the carbs could use some cleaning, but that's a given.

Seemed like a cool guy, also a very busy guy. Very easy to work with. Sending a wire transfer tomorrow, and then starting the shipping process. He gave me a great recommendation for that.

Well that's good that's it drives fine. If "the bike starts right up and runs smooth, idles" why do the carbs need to be cleaned?

Did you get a shipping quote yet? I'm curious as to how much that's going to be.

Fendersrule be sure to stop by here first once you get the bike and need assistance with getting her running again. Plenty of good information and experience with the 750's on this board. I agree, keep up the good work with the site Travis. By far the most BS free forum out there. I shall keep my opinions to myself as it seems some peoples opinions in other peoples opinions aren't the right opinions!?!?:laughing: I think the last place I looked the cb750 was ranked motorcycle of the century...that makes it #1 in my book. But thats my opinion. Ok now lets get back to working on and riding our bikes, well hope some of you can, its snowing here:(

Fendersrule, congrats on the purchase! I'm glad you chose the 750 instead of one of smaller bikes. Keep us updated on how the restoration goes. :thumbsup:

I was going to say something about "Your opinion sounds unreliable IMO" before, but decided not to. I guess I might as well now since it's been discussed. That doesn't really even make sense to me. In your opinion, my opinion sounds unreliable? How does that relate to me suggesting he look locally? That's an unreliable sounding opinion? In my opinion, your opinion about my opinion sounding unreliable sounds unreliable. :laugh:

Anyway, go back and read my comment and you'll see that I answered fendersrule's question about the risks of buying that bike on ebay, and gave my opinion that he should look locally to save money. At the time we didn't know that he'd already done a good job of searching for bikes in his area that were suitable and found none, since he didn't answer my questions in post 3 about looking locally or if he'd tried craigslist. I was just trying to help him find a good bike for the best price. You don't start on ebay to find deals on motorcycles (in my opinion). I'm not sure why any comments were even made about me giving my opinion that he should try to buy locally to save money and have the ability to look over and test ride the bike. It was my opinion/suggestion (which I'm sure plenty of people agree with) and if anyone doesn't like it, move on. :bike:

No arguing with that. My apologies.... Looking locally just seemed like common sense to me :banghead:. I really did ask myself though, "Who looks around the country first anyways?":wtf:...... Local always seemed to be the first thing to be done (IMO)<----- :doh: ........ Everyone is just on my case because I seemed like a cock but, I really did have a genuine interest in him finding a great bike. We sell Honda 750s so of course I was going to jump on the chance to sell him one of ours or having him one built to his specifications. I'm just glad he found his bike. TO ALL WHO MAY HAVE FELT OFFENDED, THIS IS MY APOLOGY. I'm just a huge lover of the bike and the riders who love them.

Back