• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

quick question for a first timer

dmaddox

CB750 New member
Reaction score
ok guys this is my first post so sorry if this has already been answered in another post. I bought a 1982 CB750 nighthawk a couple days ago. This will be my first motorcycle and my first rebuild. I have it stripped down to the frame and rear tire (so its easier to roll in and out of the garage). I am currently at the sanding and preping stage so wish me luck lol. I hate sanding. Anyway I am rebuilding the engine and for what ever reason the gasket kit for my engine goes for about 180$. When for a cb750custom or a 750k of the same year it goes for about 70/80$. My question is if I bought a gasket kit for the custom or the k would it work on my nighthawk. Also any tips or things to remember would be great. I have always been mechanically inclined so I feel like this shouldnt be too hard. Also how hard would it be to change out the rear drum brake for disks? I know people say that drums are better but i dont like the look of them. Last question, is it possible to put a kickstart onto it, mainly because i feel like it suits the cafe style better than electric start. I live in a warm climate so cold weather wont be an issue. OK sorry for all the questions and sorry if they have already been gone over before.i Just want to make sure i am doing things right. thanks guys

I am pretty sure the nighthawk engine has enough differences than the custom or K that the gaskets wont fit. Yes they are the same displacement but are different engines. Not exactly sure because I haven't done anything to a nighthawk, just what I have read. The custom and the K are the same motor so they would interchange between them. There are disk conversions for the older 750's but again not sure on the nighthawk. On the kickstart-no there is no shaft present for a kickstarter and there is no shaft for a kickstarter in the other 750's of this year. Honda did away with kickstarters after the sohc motors because they simply aren't needed.

im on ebay and the description for this gasket kit says
Fits All Models Including:
CB 750 ; 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983
CB 750 Custom ; 1980, 1981, 1982
CB 750F ; 1979, 1980
CB 750F Supersport ; 1981, 1982
CB 750K ; 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982
CB 750L ; 1979, 1980, 1981
CB 750 Nighthawk ; 1982, 1983.
so maybe there will just be an o ring or 2 that i wont be using??
and yea i read about them doing away with the kisktarts. just didnt know if there was a conversion kit or something like that to add one.
you think i would have to fab a mount to hold the brake caliper on?
and if you have done any frame painting, do i have to get every single spot of paint off before i can repaint? or can i get most of it off to bare metal and have spots that are kinda hard to get to at least smooth? i want the paint to look good and not flake later on

Back