• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Need to clean up the threads on the rear wheel flange

Craigermags

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am working on a 1970 CB750 rear wheel flange. I purchased a new rear retainer (41231-283-000) but it only threads down about half way into the flange opening and then it binds up like the flange threads taper a bit.

I have cleaned up the flange threads with some dental tools and the threads look clean and sharp.

If I knew how large the diameter of this was I would most likely try to find a metric tap and use it to clean up the threads.

Do any of you have any thoughts on this . Thanks for your time Craig

If talking the center bearing retainer they commonly are a fine thread not normally associated with that size hole. Meaning specialty tap that you'll probably find to be unaffordable and probably only at a major tooling supplier for machine shops. Hole that big usually has a bigger thread size.

If talking the center bearing retainer they commonly are a fine thread not normally associated with that size hole. Meaning specialty tap that you'll probably find to be unaffordable and probably only at a major tooling supplier for machine shops. Hole that big usually has a bigger thread size.

I noticed looking on line that metric taps on in the $350-$550 range and well outside my range. I wonder if a Honda dealer would have one of these taps to clean out the threads in the flange?

Longshot, I'd bet like most businesses they would rather charge you for new hub or retainer. Staked part like that they often consider one use only and then replace. If you drill the stake out first and prelube with like WD40 they come right out with no damage. Need a correct type tool to unthread it of course.

Longshot, I'd bet like most businesses they would rather charge you for new hub or retainer. Staked part like that they often consider one use only and then replace. If you drill the stake out first and prelube with like WD40 they come right out with no damage. Need a correct type tool to unthread it of course.

I checked with www.Yamiya.com and they sell the correct reconditioned flange with new bearings installed and polished for $265.00 US.

I was really considering this but due to some of the other suggestions like using one of the bikes bolts to recondition the threads and what I was able to accomplish with a fine dentist tool the new retainer screws on to the flange just great so I am ready to install the bearings now and get this portion of the restoration done.

Thanks all for your help.

Back